[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Window placement

darth@athena.mit.edu (Darren T Garnier) (06/18/91)

I think someone mentioned this a while back, but I didn't
see the answer to it.  In ResEdit 2.1, one can stipulate
that a window (or dialog) may be autopositioned by system 7.0
in various ways.  Can this be done programmatically? Is there
some new undocumented version of NewWindow ?  It does not
appear to be in IM VI.

Thanks again for your unbounding support.

--
                        Darren Garnier
darth@athena.mit.edu                     | Some rise, some fall,

jtteh@dbase.a-t.com (Jin T. Teh) (06/19/91)

darth@athena.mit.edu (Darren T Garnier) writes:

>I think someone mentioned this a while back, but I didn't
>see the answer to it.  In ResEdit 2.1, one can stipulate
>that a window (or dialog) may be autopositioned by system 7.0
>in various ways.  Can this be done programmatically? Is there
>some new undocumented version of NewWindow ?  It does not
>appear to be in IM VI.

>Thanks again for your unbounding support.

>--
>                        Darren Garnier
>darth@athena.mit.edu                     | Some rise, some fall,
>garnier@alcvax.pfc.mit.edu               | some try to get to Terrapin.

I think if you set the topleft of the window to (-1,-1), it'll center.
It's documented in some obscure place in UI in IM6.
jtteh@dbase.A-T.COM
[The opinions are mine and mine alone and not of my employers.       ]
[My employers don't pay me to express opinions, just ship products...]

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun17.230936.28349@athena.mit.edu> darth@athena.mit.edu (Darren T Garnier) writes:
>I think someone mentioned this a while back, but I didn't
>see the answer to it.  In ResEdit 2.1, one can stipulate
>that a window (or dialog) may be autopositioned by system 7.0
>in various ways.  Can this be done programmatically? Is there
>some new undocumented version of NewWindow ?  It does not
>appear to be in IM VI.

  My memory is a little foggy on this (not enough sleep after three days at
MacHack...) but I think we implemented the window position algorithms by
extending the 'WIND' resource.  This implies that there's a patch on
_GetNewWindow which parses the new information.  So I guess that means you
need to use 'WIND' resources to get the automagic positioning, and _NewWindow
won't cut it...

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc...
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     Blah blah blah blah....