[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ** Is MS QBasic worth looking at? **YES**HELP!

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun18.033608.15302@ux1.cts.eiu.edu>, cfejm@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (John Miller) writes...
}In article <Jun.16.16.10.49.1991.22843@elbereth.rutgers.edu> rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes:
}>
}>There is no doubt that BASIC is an easier language to learn than C,
}>and in my opinion if you just want to develop one or two nice Mac
}>progurams, you're much better off with QB than TC.  You can write
}>about 95% of a QB app without even delving into the Toolbox directly,
}>but just using the built-in statements for graphics, menus, windows,
}>dialogs, mouse tracking, etc.
}>

The original thread of this conversation was if MS-QB was a good programming
environment...Well, I've coded lots of Apps in C and QB...I find QB a
great tool to get a pgm up quickly...

Some problems though....
Does anyone know if MS-QB will be updated for system/7?  The apps generated
work ok under S/7, but the compiler sometimes crashes during compile.

Also, does anyone know if a library was/is ever written for QB and the color
quickdraw stuff?   I am having a heck of a time using the toolbox call to
use GETCIcon and PlotCIcon.....They seem to get called, but nothing useful is
returned.....Anyone got this stuff to work?

Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-6783
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (06/24/91)

   Record one more vote supporting MS QuickBASIC.

   If you're not primarily a computer programmer, but instead an
engineer, scientist, economist, medical researcher, educator,
whatever, who wants to write an occasional real Mac-like program or
double-clickable application, with minimum learning (and relearning)
time, and nearly full access to all the graphics capabilities and
interface wonders of the Mac, I don't believe there is any Mac
programming environment superior to MS QB.

   (HyperCard plus HyperBasic, maybe; but HyperCard's capabilities are
more limited, and when you get into it it's (IMHO) easier to learn QB
than HyperCard scripting.  And HC takes a lot more memory.)

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (06/25/91)

In article <23765@shlump.lkg.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:

>Some problems though....
>Does anyone know if MS-QB will be updated for system/7?  The apps generated
>work ok under S/7, but the compiler sometimes crashes during compile.

The rumors I hear are the MS will introduce a update for system seven.
When on the other hand is anybody's guess.

>Also, does anyone know if a library was/is ever written for QB and the color
>quickdraw stuff?   I am having a heck of a time using the toolbox call to
>use GETCIcon and PlotCIcon.....They seem to get called, but nothing useful is
>returned.....Anyone got this stuff to work?

Haven't tried it but I sure I could write a PCR to do it. They are
easy to write and work very well. Just like xcmds.

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com