[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Developer Program Discontinued?

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (06/21/91)

Does anyone have any information on the discontinuing of the
Developer Program from Apple?  Our company has a Developer
license, and recently received notice that the program would
be allowed to expire.  Is this different from the info about
the "Associates" program posted recently by Brian Bechtel
(blob@apple.com)?

Does that discontinuing only apply to corporations?

Will the "Partners" program continue?

What's in the future for APDA?

Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.    |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/22/91)

In article <11397@bunny.GTE.COM> CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) writes:
>Does anyone have any information on the discontinuing of the
>Developer Program from Apple?  Our company has a Developer
>license, and recently received notice that the program would
>be allowed to expire.  Is this different from the info about
>the "Associates" program posted recently by Brian Bechtel
>(blob@apple.com)?
>
>Does that discontinuing only apply to corporations?
>
>Will the "Partners" program continue?
>
>What's in the future for APDA?

Why are you asking here? Isn't that like going to your Math professor
and asking an English question? Call the Developer Hotline and ask
what's up.

For what it's worth, here's my guess as to what's going on. Brian will
probably correct me later:

With the growing number of developers for the Mac and with the
expanded capabilities of System 7.0, much stress is being put on
Developer Technical Support. To alleviate that problem, and to still
try to help as many developers as possible, more emphasis is being put
on the Apple Associates program (which doesn't allow DTS access) and
less on the Apple Partners program (which does).  To make the
Associates program more attractive, it now offers everything the
Partners program does except for DTS access, without any change to the
price. My guess is that the letter you recieved is informing you that
you are being moved from the Partners program to the Associates
program.

APDA is a completely separate issue, and is not affected by any of this.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (06/25/91)

In article <54243@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

> Why are you asking here? Isn't that like going to your Math professor
> and asking an English question? Call the Developer Hotline and ask
> what's up.

A good question.  Thank you for asking it.  In fact, this was a
crossposting.  I e-mailed the question directly to the hotline address,
and also to Brian Bechtel at Apple, who posted information about the
Associates and Partners programs recently.  I expected to get the official
explanation from Apple (and did get it) from the e-mail, and hoped to get
some reality-based context information from the users on the net, so that
I could better interpret Apple's response.  My thanks to you, Keith, and
to all others who replied.