[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW 411

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (04/29/91)

  On the 7.0b4 CD ROM (Feb 1991) there is a special extension to
the MPW enviroment which contains IM etc. Unfortunately it doesn't
seems to be complete, I can't find the folder "Tools:" (should
be contained in the "MPW 411" folder).

  The missing files are "Userstartup*Help" and "Get". Could I get these
files in any other way?

     /Olle

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jamie Osborne) (06/21/91)

	I have been playing with MPW 411, which seems to have promise.  I would
like to know if anyone knows how to make it deal with multiple references in
the help files.
	e.g. "Files" can be found in MPWHelp as well as CIncludeshelp.  But
depending on what you have set as the "first file" only one reference will be
found when you search for it.  I want to see _all_ the references to what I'm
searching for.
	Am I missing something?
Thanks.
-Jamie
--
James W. Osborne                        | email: xerox@mac.dartmouth.edu
Systems Programmer and starving student | Disclaimer:I didn't mean it! Really!

sw@nan.co.uk (Sak Wathanasin) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun21.160728.7756@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>, xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jamie Osborne) writes:

> 	I have been playing with MPW 411, which seems to have promise.  I would
> like to know if anyone knows how to make it deal with multiple references in
> the help files.
> 	e.g. "Files" can be found in MPWHelp as well as CIncludeshelp.  But
> depending on what you have set as the "first file" only one reference will be
> found when you search for it.  I want to see _all_ the references to what I'm
> searching for.

I'd like to second this; it would be very useful for looking up methods in the
MacApp help. There is a "search for next occurence of the phrase" in the text
but this is not the same thing. This could help to eliminate some of the
duplication in 411. Something like this, for example: look for "NewWindow"
gives you the C calling sequence, look again gives you Pascal, once more gives
you Inside Mac help (or whatever sequence of help files you've chosen). At the
moment, the commentary for NewWindow is in the C help as well as the Pascal
help as well as the Inside Mac help. Some form of inexact match would be good
too: at the moment the Inside Mac help is next to useless beause I have to know
the exact chapter/section name to get a hit.

Also can I make a plea for all the different groups at Apple who are working
on online help/reference to get together and work out a common data format?
I can see that it's useful and desirable to have different ways of viewing
or accessing the same info, but it must be possible to just use different
indices into the same body of text. At the moment, I have something approaching
60MB of disk being used up by SpInside Mac/Tech notes/411 etc. How about
a small faceless search-engine controlled by AppleEvents from a HC stack
or 411 or whatever?

Having said all that, I find that 411 help is the one I use most often because
it's a lot faster than firing up HyperCard or Mouser (I can't leave them
running because I can't compile - CPlus can't find enough MF temp mem).
It's certainly a lot better than having copies of IM all over the desk (and
floor :-). I do appreciate Apple's making all this info available, so please
take this as a suggestion for making it better, not as a complaint.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

coxr@piccolo.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) (06/24/91)

sw@nan.co.uk (Sak Wathanasin) writes:

>Having said all that, I find that 411 help is the one I use most often because
>it's a lot faster than firing up HyperCard or Mouser (I can't leave them
>running because I can't compile - CPlus can't find enough MF temp mem).
>It's certainly a lot better than having copies of IM all over the desk (and
>floor :-). I do appreciate Apple's making all this info available, so please
>take this as a suggestion for making it better, not as a complaint.

Ok I have been wondering this for a while here, what is 411?  And how is it
distributed.  Also I saw the SPInside Mac on AOL and wondered if it is
available anywhere bye ftp.  I would much rather ftp directly to a Mac than
download at 2400 baud, not to mention that it would take 10 hours of
connection fees.

Please respond via e-mail and I will post the summary of what I get.

Thanks in Advance,

"And the Kids they dance, they shake their bones" -GD

Chicago Soldier Field Show - June 22,1991 - What can you say... Awesome

peace

-Rich

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (06/26/91)

In article <coxr.677779551@piccolo.ecn.purdue.edu> coxr@piccolo.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) writes:
>sw@nan.co.uk (Sak Wathanasin) writes:
>
>>Having said all that, I find that 411 help is the one I use most often because
>>it's a lot faster than firing up HyperCard or Mouser (I can't leave them
>>running because I can't compile - CPlus can't find enough MF temp mem).
>>It's certainly a lot better than having copies of IM all over the desk (and
>>floor :-). I do appreciate Apple's making all this info available, so please
>>take this as a suggestion for making it better, not as a complaint.
>
>Ok I have been wondering this for a while here, what is 411?  And how is it
>distributed.  Also I saw the SPInside Mac on AOL and wondered if it is
>available anywhere bye ftp.  I would much rather ftp directly to a Mac than
>download at 2400 baud, not to mention that it would take 10 hours of
>connection fees.
>
>Please respond via e-mail and I will post the summary of what I get.
>

>Thanks in Advance,
>
>"And the Kids they dance, they shake their bones" -GD
>
>Chicago Soldier Field Show - June 22,1991 - What can you say... Awesome
>
>peace
>
>-Rich
Dear Rich -
	411 is a online information retreival system for Macintosh programming
information.  It is available as part of the new Macintosh Programmer's C
Workshop and Macintosh Programmer's C and Object Pascal Workshop, as well as
E.T.O.
	411 is implemented as a MPW tool that retrieves information from a
set of indexed text files.

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET