[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Parity

simoni@strat.Stanford.EDU (Richard Simoni) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun24.175014.4049@waikato.ac.nz>, ldo@waikato.ac.nz
(Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:

> Let's see, typical error rates for computer storage are one incorrect
> bit read out of 10 ** 12.

If this were true I'd probably want parity.  Even if my computer only read a
million bytes per second (not a fast computer), I'd see an error every
1e12/8e6 = 1.25e5 seconds = 34.7 hours.

According to the TI 1989 MOS Memory Data Book, each memory chip (depending
on density) exhibits a typical soft error rate of .001 to .0035 per 1000
hours.  Assuming .003, a system with 64 memory chips (e.g., 8 1MB SIMMs)
will flip a bit somewhere in memory every 7 months, on average.  At this
rate, most people probably don't need parity, but some do.

> Adding a parity bit detects half of these errors, so the number
> of undetected errors drops to one in 2 * 10 ** 12.

Parity detects all single-bit errors, which will obviously make up almost
all of the errors, so far more than half are detected.

Rich Simoni

gbrown@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Glenn Christopher Brown) (06/24/91)

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:

>Let's see, typical error rates for computer storage are one incorrect
>bit read out of 10 ** 12.

>Adding a parity bit detects half of these errors, so the number
>of undetected errors drops to one in 2 * 10 ** 12.

>Now, considering that you're using 12.5% more chips to achieve this
>(plus interface circuitry circuitry and, of course, the error detection
>support), is it worth it?

	Parity checking in 8 bit systems detects all 1 bit errors within a byte.
Parity checking is only fooled when there are an even number of errors in
a byte(including in the parity bit).  This
means the chance that parity checking will be fooled is on the order
of 9*8 chances in (10^12)^2 or _approximately_ 1 chance in 10^22. (This
is the probability that 2 errors will occur at distinct locations in the
same 9 bit byte).
	That means errors are about 10 billion times less likely to go
undetected.  Not just 2 times less likely.

	Whether knowing when 9,999,999 out of 10,000,000 errors occurs is
actually worth the cost of the extra chips is another question entirely.
(Note: The cost increase is more than just 12.5% more chips:  Much extra glue
logic must be implemented in order to take advantage of the extra bit...
especially since 9bit TTL doesn't exist! (to my knowledge))
	I personally don't think it's worth it:  How many compu. companies
do you know of who implement parity checking in memory storage?

--Glenn Brown
gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (06/25/91)

Let's see, typical error rates for computer storage are one incorrect
bit read out of 10 ** 12.

Adding a parity bit detects half of these errors, so the number
of undetected errors drops to one in 2 * 10 ** 12.

Now, considering that you're using 12.5% more chips to achieve this
(plus interface circuitry circuitry and, of course, the error detection
support), is it worth it?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
To someone with a hammer and a screwdriver, every problem looks
like a nail with threads.

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (06/26/91)

gbrown@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Glenn Christopher Brown) writes:

>ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:

>>Let's see, typical error rates for computer storage are one incorrect
>>bit read out of 10 ** 12.

      Gee, if it's that bad, my IIci is getting a bad bit every two hours
or so, assuming 3 MIPS and two 32-bit memory accesses (one instruction,
one data) per instruction.

>	I personally don't think it's worth it:  How many compu. companies
>do you know of who implement parity checking in memory storage?

      IBM, Compaq, ...  All those guys who are bigger than Apple.
Why do you think SIMMs are designed for 9 chips?

					John Nagle