[comp.sys.mac.programmer] TicksCount

aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) (06/10/91)

Is there a way to get more accurate time than function TickCount
gives?

1/100 sec precision would be appropriate.

--Arto

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (06/10/91)

In article <5721@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi>, aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:

> Is there a way to get more accurate time than function TickCount
> gives?
>
> 1/100 sec precision would be appropriate.

Check out the latest Time Manager (known as the extended Time Manager
and documented in Inside Mac VI).  It provides for accuracy of up
to 20 milliseconds drift free.

-- michael peirce

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) (06/11/91)

In article <5721@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:
>Is there a way to get more accurate time than function TickCount
>gives?
>
>1/100 sec precision would be appropriate.

   Unfortunately, you'd need discrete hardware to do this.  The Mac gets its
clock signals from the 60Hz AC input.  Of course, it would be very *simple*
hardware...perhaps there is something out there.

   Hmm.  In europe, where the freq of the AC is 50Hz, does TickCount() have a
1/50sec resolution?
--
   <reynhout@cs.uri.edu>

paulr@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Paul Russell) (06/11/91)

From article <0B01FFFB.hrywuc@outpost.UUCP>, by peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce):
+
+ Check out the latest Time Manager (known as the extended Time Manager
+ and documented in Inside Mac VI).  It provides for accuracy of up
+ to 20 milliseconds drift free.
+

For "accuracy" read "resolution", and for "milliseconds" read "microseconds".

//Paul the Pedant

;-)

--
           Paul Russell, Department of Experimental Psychology
         University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QG, England

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.092513.14329@cs.uri.edu> reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) writes:
>In article <5721@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:
>>Is there a way to get more accurate time than function TickCount
>>gives?
>>
>>1/100 sec precision would be appropriate.
>   Unfortunately, you'd need discrete hardware to do this.  The Mac gets its
>clock signals from the 60Hz AC input.  Of course, it would be very *simple*
>hardware...perhaps there is something out there.

Actually, the Mac gets its clock signals from crystals (I shudder to think
of a Mac getting its working frequencies from Boston Edison ;-), which
generate interrupts at specified intervals via counters in the VIAs. The
6.0.? (I think it's 6.0.3, but I'm not sure) Time Manager allows you to
install Time Manager tasks with a period of < 1 millisecond (it's
somewhere in the 20-40 microsecond range, I think). You can use that to
get your timing. In fact, the original Time Manager allows periods of
1 millisecond and greater, and should be good enough for your application.

-Ivan Cavero Belaunde
Digital Video Applications (DiVA) Corp.
Internet: captkidd@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Disclaimer: opinions, assholes, you know...

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (06/12/91)

> reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) writes:

   >1/100 sec precision would be appropriate.

   Hmm.  In europe, where the freq of the AC is 50Hz, does TickCount() have a
   1/50sec resolution?

The TickCount is always 60/sec. It is generated by the screen refresh
on the old macs, and by an async clock task on other macs. It is not tied
to the AC cycle.

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

wingo@apple.com (Anthony Wingo) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.092513.14329@cs.uri.edu>, reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) writes:

> In article <5721@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:
> >Is there a way to get more accurate time than function TickCount
> >gives?
> >
> >1/100 sec precision would be appropriate.
>
>    Unfortunately, you'd need discrete hardware to do this.  The Mac gets its
> clock signals from the 60Hz AC input.  Of course, it would be very *simple*
> hardware...perhaps there is something out there.
>
>    Hmm.  In europe, where the freq of the AC is 50Hz, does TickCount() have a
> 1/50sec resolution?
> --
>    <reynhout@cs.uri.edu>

Actually, the 60Hz tick is divided down from the crystal.  And it isn't 60Hz either,
it is 60.15 Hz, which can be a nuisence if your using it for timing. (See IM III-18
and V-566).

Use the Time Manager (IM IV-297) for more accurate counting.

 - Tony Wingo

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.092513.14329@cs.uri.edu>, reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) writes:
|> In article <5721@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:
|> >Is there a way to get more accurate time than function TickCount
|> >gives?
|> >
|> >1/100 sec precision would be appropriate.
|>
|>    Unfortunately, you'd need discrete hardware to do this.  The Mac gets its
|> clock signals from the 60Hz AC input.  Of course, it would be very *simple*
|> hardware...perhaps there is something out there.
|>
|>    Hmm.  In europe, where the freq of the AC is 50Hz, does TickCount() have a
|> 1/50sec resolution?

	huh?????
	Sorry, but the mac doesn't get anything from the 60HZ AC input but
raw power. The logic - including the clock - all runs on filtered DC! How do
you think the poor machine manages to keep accurate time off the battery when
disconnected from an AC source? Sheesh!!
	Tickcount() is based off the internal clock which is driven by a DC
crystal oscillator so it still delivers 1/60sec resolution. I believe the
time manager offers a timer resolution of 1/1000 sec or better.
	No electronics wizard here, I am
	PC
--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.185747.9300@athena.mit.edu> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.092513.14329@cs.uri.edu> reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) writes:
>>In article <5721@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:
>>>Is there a way to get more accurate time than function TickCount
>>>gives?
>>>
>>>1/100 sec precision would be appropriate.
>>   Unfortunately, you'd need discrete hardware to do this.  The Mac gets its
>>clock signals from the 60Hz AC input.  Of course, it would be very *simple*
>>hardware...perhaps there is something out there.
>
>Actually, the Mac gets its clock signals from crystals (I shudder to think
>of a Mac getting its working frequencies from Boston Edison ;-), which
>generate interrupts at specified intervals via counters in the VIAs.

   Yes, several people have taken the time to correct me here.  To clarify, I
was under the impression that the Mac got its source for TicksCount (not the
"clock" as I said previously) from the vertical retrace of the monitor, which
I, for some reason, believed to be synchronized with the 60Hz of the AC
power line.

   That's not how it's done, and I apologize for opening my mouth so soon.
Apparently, the Time Manager is documented in IM VI.  I'm still wading through
the first four volumes and coding on a Plus.  I guess it's time for me to
update myself, eh?  :-)

   [as I flip through IM I to see if there was any truth to my mistaken belief,
I find the following:
   "TickCount (NOT TicksCount!) is incremented during the vertical retrace
interrupt, but it's possible for this interrupt to be disabled."
   (So I was still wrong, but at least I have a reasonable explanation for
my error.  :-)  Thanks for not flaming too hotly.]

   Andrew
--
   <reynhout@cs.uri.edu>

In article <1991Jun12.184613.3650@viewlogic.com> peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) writes:
>	huh?????
>	Sorry, but the mac doesn't get anything from the 60HZ AC input but
>raw power. The logic - including the clock - all runs on filtered DC! How do
>you think the poor machine manages to keep accurate time off the battery when
>disconnected from an AC source? Sheesh!!

In my experience, the Mac keeps fairly inaccurate time, whether on battery or
plugged in.  It gets off several minutes per month.

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.111156.25658@cs.uri.edu> reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.185747.9300@athena.mit.edu> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun11.092513.14329@cs.uri.edu> reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) writes:
>>>   Unfortunately, you'd need discrete hardware to do this.  The Mac gets its
>>>clock signals from the 60Hz AC input.  Of course, it would be very *simple*
>>>hardware...perhaps there is something out there.
>>
>>Actually, the Mac gets its clock signals from crystals (I shudder to think
>>of a Mac getting its working frequencies from Boston Edison ;-), which
>>generate interrupts at specified intervals via counters in the VIAs.
>
>   Yes, several people have taken the time to correct me here.  To clarify, I
>was under the impression that the Mac got its source for TicksCount (not the
>"clock" as I said previously) from the vertical retrace of the monitor, which
>I, for some reason, believed to be synchronized with the 60Hz of the AC
>power line.

Actually, I think you're right in that TickCount comes from the vertical
retrace signal (at least on non-Nubus macs - in Nubus Macs I think [I might
be wrong here] that each slot can have a different VBL frequency for
interrupts). It's not that harebrained a scheme either; I seem to remember
that the Apple IIc's serial port's timing signals were generated from the
AC 60Hz signal and Apple had to release a fix/motherboard upgrade/somesuch,
since it drifted so much.

>   That's not how it's done, and I apologize for opening my mouth so soon.
>Apparently, the Time Manager is documented in IM VI.  I'm still wading through
>the first four volumes and coding on a Plus.  I guess it's time for me to
>update myself, eh?  :-)

I'm pretty sure the Time Manager is documented pre-IM V/VI, it's just buried
since it's not a commonly used part of the OS (unlike, say, the Resource Mgr).

I'd wait on updating, though, until the 2nd Edition comes out (BTW, anyone
know when that will be?).

>   (So I was still wrong, but at least I have a reasonable explanation for
>my error.  :-)  Thanks for not flaming too hotly.]

Ack. Flaming people over factual inaccuracies is IMHO a *bad* idea (flamewar
fuel).

Now religious flames (my Mac is better than your Amiga which is better than
your NeXT which is worse than my IBM ad nauseaum) are *so* much fun... ;-)

Later,

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.163254.27912@athena.mit.edu> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
>I'm pretty sure the Time Manager is documented pre-IM V/VI, it's just buried
>since it's not a commonly used part of the OS (unlike, say, the Resource Mgr).

It's in volume 4, since the Time Manager first appeared in the 128K ROMS of
the Mac Plus.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

lhccjeh@lure.latrobe.edu.au (James Hale) (06/17/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.hrywuc@outpost.UUCP>, peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

> In article <5721@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi>, aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:
>>

>> Is there a way to get more accurate time than function TickCount
>> gives?
>>
>> 1/100 sec precision would be appropriate.
>
> Check out the latest Time Manager (known as the extended Time Manager
> and documented in Inside Mac VI).  It provides for accuracy of up
> to 20 milliseconds drift free.
>
> -- michael peirce

One tick is 1/60 of a second or 16.67 msec.
a 20 msec accuracy is not an improvement.
James Hale     			Lincoln School of Health Sciences
Computing Unit			La Trobe University,Bundoora, AUSTRALIA
My sinless brother is my guide to peace.		|	Lesson 351
My sinful brother is my guide to pain.			|	Workbook P470
And which I choose to see I will behold.		|

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.193130.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au> lhccjeh@lure.latrobe.edu.au (James Hale) writes:
>In article <0B01FFFB.hrywuc@outpost.UUCP>, peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
>> In article <5721@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi>, aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get more accurate time than function TickCount
>>> gives?
>>>
>>> 1/100 sec precision would be appropriate.
>>
>> Check out the latest Time Manager (known as the extended Time Manager
>> and documented in Inside Mac VI).  It provides for accuracy of up
>> to 20 milliseconds drift free.
>>
>> -- michael peirce
>
>One tick is 1/60 of a second or 16.67 msec.
>a 20 msec accuracy is not an improvement.
>_____________________________________________________________________________
>James Hale     			Lincoln School of Health Sciences

I think this is a rare case in which Michael misspoke. The original Time
Manager was rated at 1 millisecond, but there was no provision for
drift-free alarms. The current Time Manager (as provided in System
6.0.3 or later, and documented in technotes and IM VI) is documented as
providing 250 microsecond drift-free timing, but you can push that down
to 20 microseconds if you want to try getting away with it.

These numbers are off the top of my head, so I may be off a little.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (06/19/91)

In article <54082@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
> In article <1991Jun17.193130.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au> lhccjeh@lure.latrobe.edu.au (James Hale) writes:
> >
> >One tick is 1/60 of a second or 16.67 msec.
> >a 20 msec accuracy is not an improvement.
> >_____________________________________________________________________________
> >James Hale     			Lincoln School of Health Sciences
>
> I think this is a rare case in which Michael misspoke. The original Time
> Manager was rated at 1 millisecond, but there was no provision for
> drift-free alarms. The current Time Manager (as provided in System
> 6.0.3 or later, and documented in technotes and IM VI) is documented as
> providing 250 microsecond drift-free timing, but you can push that down
> to 20 microseconds if you want to try getting away with it.

Rare case where I misspoke?  I make mistakes all the time!

I did mean to say microsecond rather than millisecond.  What's a few
zeros between friends? :-)

-- michael

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (06/19/91)

In comp.sys.mac.programmer, article <1991Jun13.144441.14539@eng.umd.edu>,
  russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
<
< In my experience, the Mac keeps fairly inaccurate time, whether on battery or
< plugged in.  It gets off several minutes per month.

Mine too. :-(

Is there any way to change that?

It should be fairly easy to write a cdev that can be told to correct the
clock N seconds per months, and which does an incremental change every day or
every time the Mac is started, whatever occurs more often. ;-)

Fairly easy, that is, for somebody with more time for things like that than I
have...
--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

In article <B+J-M9@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In comp.sys.mac.programmer, article <1991Jun13.144441.14539@eng.umd.edu>,
>  russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
><
>< In my experience, the Mac keeps fairly inaccurate time, whether on battery or
>< plugged in.  It gets off several minutes per month.
>
>Mine too. :-(
>
>Is there any way to change that?
>
>It should be fairly easy to write a cdev that can be told to correct the
>clock N seconds per months, and which does an incremental change every day or
>every time the Mac is started, whatever occurs more often. ;-)
>
>Fairly easy, that is, for somebody with more time for things like that than I
>have...

Easy enough, but not worth it-- I can correct it to my watch manually when
it really starts getting off.  How about a hardware solution?

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (06/19/91)

In article<B+J-M9@smurf.sub.org>urlichs@smurf.sub.org(Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In comp.sys.mac.programmer, article <1991Jun13.144441.14539@eng.umd.edu>,
>  russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
><In my experience, the Mac keeps fairly inaccurate time, whether on battery or
>< plugged in.  It gets off several minutes per month.
>
>Mine too. :-(
>
>Is there any way to change that?
>
>It should be fairly easy to write a cdev that can be told to correct the
>clock N seconds per months, and which does an incremental change every day or
>every time the Mac is started, whatever occurs more often. ;-)
>
>Fairly easy, that is, for somebody with more time for things like that than I
>have...

Its been done already. I have seen a cdev that does exactly what you describe.

I think it is in the archives on sumex. I think its called clock adjust.

Of course you could just connect to a time server and have it update your
mac clock. :-) (apple.com has pretty accurate time)

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (06/20/91)

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:

>It should be fairly easy to write a cdev that can be told to correct the
>clock N seconds per months, and which does an incremental change every day or
>every time the Mac is started, whatever occurs more often. ;-)

>Fairly easy, that is, for somebody with more time for things like that than I
>have...

There is a cdev available on mac.archive.umich.edu called ClockAdjust
which does just this. Guenther Blaschek, the author of PopChar, wrote
it. It's been around quite a while, and I don't know how it is under
System 7.0, but it seemed pretty good. Then again, you could also use
*my* cdev :-) called Network Time, which sets the clock every so often
using MacTCP and a timeserver. Lots of other stuff out there too.

Sorry for the self-serving plug.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

bruner@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) (06/20/91)

In article <25574@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) writes:
> Of course you could just connect to a time server and have it update your
> mac clock. :-) (apple.com has pretty accurate time)

APPLE.COM is a VAX-8650.  FTP.APPLE.COM, a Mac IIx, also provides a
time server, but its time was not so accurate when I queried it.
--
John Bruner	Center for Supercomputing R&D, University of Illinois
	bruner@csrd.uiuc.edu		(217) 244-4476

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (06/20/91)

(Matthias Urlichs) writes:
-In comp.sys.mac.programmer, article <1991Jun13.144441.14539@eng.umd.edu-,
-  russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
-<
-< In my experience, the Mac keeps fairly inaccurate time, whether on battery or
-
-Mine too. :-(
-
-
-It should be fairly easy to write a cdev that can be told to correct the
-clock N seconds per months, and which does an incremental change every day or
-every time the Mac is started, whatever occurs more often. ;-)
-
-Fairly easy, that is, for somebody with more time for things like that than I
-have...

Coincidentally, I've been thinking about writing such a utility.  The question
is: why is the Mac's clock inaccurate?  Is it just slow (or fast)?  If so, a
simple periodic correction would solve the problem.  If itUs because the clock
loses ticks now and then due to interrupt processing, things could get real
weird.  Anybody know what the story is?
Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com

wingo@apple.com (Tony Wingo) (06/25/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.ihunr8@outpost.UUCP>, peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

> In article <54082@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
> > In article <1991Jun17.193130.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au> lhccjeh@lure.latrobe.edu.au (James Hale) writes:
> > >
> > >One tick is 1/60 of a second or 16.67 msec.
> > >a 20 msec accuracy is not an improvement.
> > >_____________________________________________________________________________
> > >James Hale     			Lincoln School of Health Sciences
> >
> > I think this is a rare case in which Michael misspoke. The original Time
> > Manager was rated at 1 millisecond, but there was no provision for
> > drift-free alarms. The current Time Manager (as provided in System
> > 6.0.3 or later, and documented in technotes and IM VI) is documented as
> > providing 250 microsecond drift-free timing, but you can push that down
> > to 20 microseconds if you want to try getting away with it.
>
> Rare case where I misspoke?  I make mistakes all the time!
>
> I did mean to say microsecond rather than millisecond.  What's a few
> zeros between friends? :-)

One small point which most people miss:  The tick frequency is actually 60.15 HZ or 16.63ms/tick (see
IM III-18 or V-566).  Not a large error, but it has been known to cause some consternation.

(I posted this comment once before, but it appears to have gotten garbled.)

-Tony

In article <1991Jun19.171029.23693@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:

> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>
> >It should be fairly easy to write a cdev that can be told to correct the
> >clock N seconds per months, and which does an incremental change every day or
> >every time the Mac is started, whatever occurs more often. ;-)
>
> >Fairly easy, that is, for somebody with more time for things like that than I
> >have...
>
> There is a cdev available on mac.archive.umich.edu called ClockAdjust
> which does just this. Guenther Blaschek, the author of PopChar, wrote
> it. It's been around quite a while, and I don't know how it is under
> System 7.0, but it seemed pretty good. Then again, you could also use
> *my* cdev :-) called Network Time, which sets the clock every so often
> using MacTCP and a timeserver. Lots of other stuff out there too.
>
> Sorry for the self-serving plug.

There was also an application called SetClock floating around the BBS's a while
back that would dial up an atomic clock in Virginia and set your clock to it.

-Tony

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/26/91)

In article <14243@goofy.Apple.COM> wingo@apple.com (Tony Wingo) writes:
> In article <1991Jun19.171029.23693@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>            resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
> >
> > urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
> >
> > >It should be fairly easy to write a cdev that can be told to correct the
> > >clock N seconds per months, and which does an incremental change every
> > >day or every time the Mac is started, whatever occurs more often. ;-)
> >
> > There is a cdev available on mac.archive.umich.edu called ClockAdjust
> > which does just this. Guenther Blaschek, the author of PopChar, wrote
> > it. It's been around quite a while, and I don't know how it is under
> > System 7.0, but it seemed pretty good. Then again, you could also use
> > *my* cdev :-) called Network Time, which sets the clock every so often
> > using MacTCP and a timeserver. Lots of other stuff out there too.
> >
> > Sorry for the self-serving plug.
> >
> There was also an application called SetClock floating around the BBS's
> a while back that would dial up an atomic clock in Virginia and set your
> clock to it.

The newest version of Versaterm also includes something called Versaterm Time
Client which uses MacTCP and a time server to reset the time on the Mac.  It
resets it every reboot, and you can set it to check at 2AM every morning.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =     gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer            (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA