[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacApp installation bites the dust

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (06/27/91)

sdk@cci632.cci.com (Stephen Knight) writes:

>Greetings,
>  While trying to move up to MPW 3.2 Final, I've run into a snag when trying
>to build the default MacApp.lib (actually, I started with our particular
>settings and when that didn't work I shifted to .debug).

>  After installing onto my disk from ETO #4 I tried:

[lots of stuff deleted]

That failure to compile has to do with a change Apple made to the NMRec
structure in the 3.2 headers. You can always use the 3.1 ones.
Also remember to include -pascal -clean on the MABuild line.

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						mlanett@uiuc.edu

rbarris@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert C. Barris) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.154841.18646@cci632.cci.com> sdk@ccird2.UUCP (Stephen Knight) writes:
>Greetings,
>  While trying to move up to MPW 3.2 Final, I've run into a snag when trying
>to build the default MacApp.lib (actually, I started with our particular
>settings and when that didn't work I shifted to .debug).
>
>  After installing onto my disk from ETO #4 I tried:
>
>>directory "compilers:developer:macapp folder:libraries"
>>mabuild -debug macapp.lib
>
>and the following appeared (sorry about the runon lines :( ):
>
>>MABuildTool - v. 2.0.1 Release 10/25/90          Start: 11:27:07 AM 6/26/91

<many compile errors deleted>
I ran into this too. You need to disable MPW 3.1 compatibility
(note the references to $IFC qMPW31 all over the place).
This is easy to do, just take a look at the MacApp.lib MAMake file
(at least I think that's where it was) and there is one line you need
to comment out. This is in the manual too, but of course I didn't find
that until later.
What happened is that the header files were "cleaned up" a bit from MPW
3.1 to 3.2... the MacApp source knows this but that conditional compilation
was still set up for 3.1 when you tried to build it. It does work...
I hope this helps.

Rob Barris
rbarris@orion.oac.uci.edu

In article <1991Jun26.200234.11336@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:
>sdk@cci632.cci.com (Stephen Knight) writes:
>
>>Greetings,
>>  While trying to move up to MPW 3.2 Final, I've run into a snag when trying
>>to build the default MacApp.lib (actually, I started with our particular
>>settings and when that didn't work I shifted to .debug).
>
>>  After installing onto my disk from ETO #4 I tried:
>
>[lots of stuff deleted]
>
>That failure to compile has to do with a change Apple made to the NMRec
>structure in the 3.2 headers. You can always use the 3.1 ones.
>Also remember to include -pascal -clean on the MABuild line.
>
>--
>//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Mark Lanett						mlanett@uiuc.edu
>Software Tools Group, NCSA

I also posted something about this and mentioned MacApp.lib.MAMake.
Wrong! There is a line in the {MacApp}Startup file which reads

# for compatibility with MPW 3.1 ( the currently released product )
# for MPW 3.2 or later remove or comment out the following line
SET MABuildDefaults "{MABuildDefaults} -d qMPW31=TRUE"

...so, I commented that line out and my builds worked again.

Rob Barris
rbarris@orion.oac.uci.edu

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (06/27/91)

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:

>sdk@cci632.cci.com (Stephen Knight) writes:

>>Greetings,
>>  While trying to move up to MPW 3.2 Final, I've run into a snag when trying
>>to build the default MacApp.lib (actually, I started with our particular
>>settings and when that didn't work I shifted to .debug).

>>  After installing onto my disk from ETO #4 I tried:

>[lots of stuff deleted]

>That failure to compile has to do with a change Apple made to the NMRec
>structure in the 3.2 headers. You can always use the 3.1 ones.
>Also remember to include -pascal -clean on the MABuild line.

Correction to my posting: Uncomment the line with MPW31 in your new
MacApp:Startup file and all will be well.

--