[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Looking for good C compile environment

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (06/27/91)

In article <36690006@hpindwa.cup.hp.com>, bobj@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Bob Joslin) writes:
> Of all the programming environments I have seen on the Mac, MPW C and
> LightSpeedSC, I have not found some features I consider important...
>
> Compile listings with code offsets. So when I'm in MacsBug, I can
> match up Source with code.  (I'm not looking for a source debugger,
> like what LSC has.)  Example:
>

>             void test(short a)
>
>             {
> test+$0        short b;
> test+$0        long  d,e,f;
> test+$0
> test+$0        b = a;
> test+$8        d = b + a;
> test+$c        e = 0;
> test+$10    }

MPW Has a tool that not onlu lists the offsets, but interweaves the
generated assembler in with the original source!!!!!!

> Variable locations displayed in compile listings.  Example:
>
> short  Fred;      -> (A6+44)
> long   Joe        -> (A6+48)
> register long i   -> A4

This I am not sure of, but I suspect you may be able to get this from
DumpObj.

> Structure mapping....  Example.
>
> struct x {
>     short   a;     -> 0
>     short   b;     -> 2
>     long    c;     -> 4
>     char    d[9];  -> 8
>        }           -> Length = $12

You can write a simple program to do this!

> Cross reference...  (MPW provides this for Pascal.)

And C.

> Are there any compile environments that provide these features?

Sounds like MPW.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208
-------- USENET: A slow moving self parody.....