[comp.sys.mac.programmer] --------------->ICON<

jpf10694@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph Peter Fleck) (06/28/91)

I've been trying my darndest to get a customized icon to
appear on an app that I'm about to distribute.  I have read
the section in the Macintosh Programming Primer Vol 1 on adding
one to your app.  No Luck there.  Then went to the resedit manual
from addison-wesley.  Followed it (I thought) religiously.  Still
no luck.  Can anyone give me a STEP-BY-STEP reply on putting an
icon on an app using Resedit 2.1 and System 7.0.  My application's
creator is 'JOJO'.  Thanks in advance.....  E-mail would be preferred
but I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with this problem, so
maybe a post on here would be more beneficiary to all.  Thanks.

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Joseph P. Fleck               |"Yeah, so I finally got the googlephonic... |
| University of Illinois        | You know, the highest number of speakers   |
| Urbana/Champaign              | before infinity....                        |
|  INTERNET:                    | Sounds like shit."         - Steve Martin  |
|     jpf10694@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu |                       Comedy is not Pretty |
\----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (06/28/91)

jpf10694@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph Peter Fleck) writes:
>I've been trying my darndest to get a customized icon to
>appear on an app that I'm about to distribute.  I have read
>the section in the Macintosh Programming Primer Vol 1 on adding
>one to your app.  No Luck there.  Then went to the resedit manual
>from addison-wesley.  Followed it (I thought) religiously.  Still
>no luck.  Can anyone give me a STEP-BY-STEP reply on putting an
>icon on an app using Resedit 2.1 and System 7.0.  My application's
>creator is 'JOJO'.

It's pretty simple, so here goes.

1) Run ResEdit and open your application file.
2) Select "Create New Resource" from the "Resource" menu, or hit command-K.
3) Choose "BNDL" from the list or type it in yourself.  Capitalization counts.
   ResEdit will display a couple of windows, the topmost one with a title
   something like "BNDL ID=128 from xyz"
4) Select "Extended View" from the "BNDL" menu.
5) Change the signature from "????" to "JOJO"
6) Enter your copyright string on the "(c) String:" line.  Maybe something
   like "v1.0, Copyright (c) 1991 by Joseph Fleck"
7) Select "Create New File Type" from the "Resource" menu, or hit command-K.
   This will add a line to the BNDL window.
8) Select the "????" under "Type" in the "FREF" section and type in "APPL".
9) Hit the tab key twice to move you under the "res ID" field and type in "128".
10) Double-click on any of the six boxes in the last column and it will bring
    up the icon editing window.  If you've already created icons for the
    application, they would show up, else you can create them from scratch.

At this point, you should have all the resources you need to make the Finder
happy.  You should have:

	BNDL, ID=128
	FREF, ID=128
	JOJO, ID=0
	ICN#, ID=128  (and optionally icl4, icl8, ics#, ics4, ics8 as well)

You may also want to add a 'vers' (version) resource and change its ID to 1.
The Finder looks for one of these when it displays the version in the "Get
Info" window.

Before you quit, select "Get Info for xyz" from the "File" menu.  Make sure
the "Type" field is "APPL", the "Creator" field is "JOJO", and that "Inited"
is NOT checked and "has Bundle" IS checked.  Save everything and quit ResEdit.
In the Finder, do a "Get Info" on your application to see if it will update
everything (like get the icon, etc.).  If your custom icon still doesn't
show up, restart and hold down the command and option keys until the Finder
brings up a dialog about re-building the desktop.  Click OK and wait for it
to re-build.  After that, the file's icon should show up.

How's that?

steve

  Steve Christensen			Never hit a man with glasses.
  stevec@apple.com			Hit him with a baseball bat.

greggor@Apple.COM (Greg L. Anderson) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.175712.25975@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jpf10694@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph Peter Fleck) writes:
>I've been trying my darndest to get a customized icon to
>appear on an app that I'm about to distribute....
>.....  E-mail would be preferred
>but I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with this problem, so
>maybe a post on here would be more beneficiary to all.  Thanks.

I wrote & posted such a thing a few months back, but I have since lost
it.  Did anyone on the net archive it?  I'd like a copy if anyone has it.

There are two things that usually bite me when setting up bundles:

	1.	You must rebuild the desktop file before your icons
		are recognized by the Finder

	2.	The 'signature' entry in the BNDL editor must be
		the same as your application's creator type.
		(I don't know why I tend to forget to set this...)

--
-----------------	----------------------
Greg Anderson		User Programming Group	    ()    "Ponnuki

jpf10694@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph Peter Fleck) (06/28/91)

Now that's what I call a great reply... Yes, it worked, Steve,
and I do sincerely appreciate the help.  I thing the point where I
got confused was that, in addtion to putting the APPL in the FREF
bundle, I was also putting the ICN# in there - that's sort of the
way that the RE reference shows it.  But, as I followed step-by-step
your post, it all came out great (boy there's some good English for ya').
You know what I'm trying to say.  Tanks tons!
| Joseph P. Fleck               |"Yeah, I got some hostages the other day... |
| University of Illinois        | Well, you see so many people WITH hostages |
| Urbana/Champaign              | these days and you say -                   |
|  INTERNET:                    | 'Hey! I'd like some too!'" - Steve Martin  |