[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Colour Highlighting

karlg@runx.oz.au (Karl Goiser) (06/27/91)

Hi Mac programmers!

Just a quick question for which there should be a quick answer!!

When you select an icon in the finder when using a colour monitor, it is
displayed dimmed.  How can this be done in a program?

Thanks for any help.

By the way, isn't it interesting that us English spelling people around
the world are forced to program using the words color and hilite.  And if
this isn't bad enough, we've now got to put up with Behaviors in MacApp 3!!!

Yours,
Karl Goiser
karlg@runx.oz.au

--
--------------------------------------
Karl Goiser

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun27.125004.19449@runx.oz.au> karlg@runx.oz.au (Karl Goiser) writes:
>the world are forced to program using the words color and hilite.  And if
>this isn't bad enough, we've now got to put up with Behaviors in MacApp 3!!!

Color and behavior you can blame on us Yanks (though you're perfectly welcome
to use some other nationality of computer if you don't like them :-)), but
"hilite" is no more proper Over Here than Over There.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun28.174637.7902@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

> Color and behavior you can blame on us Yanks (though you're perfectly welcome
> to use some other nationality of computer if you don't like them :-)), but
> "hilite" is no more proper Over Here than Over There.

I think you can blame Jim Backus (head of team that developed Fortran in the
1950s) for our tendancy to shorten names to 6 characters.  The language was
developed for an IBM 7094 computer that stored 6 6-bit characters in each of
its 36 bit words...