[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How do you open Alias files in ResEdit?

zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) (06/25/91)

How do you open an Alias file in ResEdit?  Here's an example of what I'm
trying to do.  I had an alias for HyperCard, and decided to make an alias
for the home stack instead so I could put it in a seperate folder than
HyperCard.  I have the home stack alias in my Apple menu, and it runs
HyperCard fine.  Now I would like to conver the icon from a stack icon
to the Hypercard icon. (the stack with the hand)  When I tried to open
the alias file in ResEdit, it would open the home stack.  Is there any
way to open an alias that I'm not seeing?

--
  (Steve Kosloske)                  | "If you want it today, you can
------------------------------------|  have it, but don't expect it

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (06/25/91)

In article <13368@uwm.edu>, zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) writes...
>How do you open an Alias file in ResEdit?  Here's an example of what I'm
>trying to do.  I had an alias for HyperCard, and decided to make an alias
>for the home stack instead so I could put it in a seperate folder than
>HyperCard.  I have the home stack alias in my Apple menu, and it runs
>HyperCard fine.  Now I would like to conver the icon from a stack icon
>to the Hypercard icon. (the stack with the hand)  When I tried to open
>the alias file in ResEdit, it would open the home stack.  Is there any
>way to open an alias that I'm not seeing?

Sounds like the practical problem could be handled by making another
alias and just pasting which a different icon into it.  But ...

To open an alias in ResEdit, choose Get File/Folder Info from the
file menu and deselect "Alias".  The file can now be opened normally
with ResEdit.  If you want it to function as an alias again after
you are finished poking around, you'll need to reset the "Alias"
check-box.

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (06/26/91)

   >How do you open an Alias file in ResEdit?  Here's an example of what I'm

   >HyperCard fine.  Now I would like to conver the icon from a stack icon
   >to the Hypercard icon. (the stack with the hand)  When I tried to open

What's wrong with "Get Info" in the finder, clicking on the icon
and pasting in a new icon ?

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) (06/26/91)

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

>In article <13368@uwm.edu>, zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) writes...
>>How do you open an Alias file in ResEdit?  Here's an example of what I'm
>>trying to do.  I had an alias for HyperCard, and decided to make an alias
>>for the home stack instead so I could put it in a seperate folder than
>>HyperCard.  I have the home stack alias in my Apple menu, and it runs
>>HyperCard fine.  Now I would like to conver the icon from a stack icon
>>to the Hypercard icon. (the stack with the hand)  When I tried to open
>>the alias file in ResEdit, it would open the home stack.  Is there any
>>way to open an alias that I'm not seeing?

>Sounds like the practical problem could be handled by making another
>alias and just pasting which a different icon into it.  But ...

The solution is even easier:
Do a 'get info' in the Finder on the alias in the Apple Menu items folder,
select the Icon in the left-top corner and paste the Hypercard Icon (Or
something totally different) in the place.

This changes the icon in a straightforward and very easy way.

Hope this helps,
Axel

--
Strike a pose... There's nothing to it.

root@nixbbs.uucp (System Operator) (06/27/91)

In article <13368@uwm.edu> zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) writes:
>How do you open an Alias file in ResEdit?  Here's an example of what I'm
>[...]
>HyperCard fine.  Now I would like to conver the icon from a stack icon
>to the Hypercard icon. (the stack with the hand)  When I tried to open
>the alias file in ResEdit, it would open the home stack.  Is there any
>way to open an alias that I'm not seeing?

If all you want to do is change the icon, why don't you just copy and paste
the HC icon from the Finder?  "Get Info" on your HyperCard application, and
click on the icon; it should get surrounded by a box.  Choose "Copy" from the
Edit menu, or hit CMD-C.  Now "Get Info" on the stack alias icon, and "Get
Info" on it.  Once again, click on the icon; a box should surround it.  Now
choose "Paste" from the Edit menu, or CMD-V.

If you really want to open the alias file itself, you must do it under System
6.x.  If you try under 7.0, it'll just open what the alias references.
--
+-------------------------------------------------+---------------------------+
: Donald Burr, SysAdmin, NIXBBS, Carpinteria      : "Yes, Star Trek IS a way  :

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (06/28/91)

In article <13368@uwm.edu> zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) writes:
>How do you open an Alias file in ResEdit?  Here's an example of what I'm

I don't think you can do it with ResEdit 2.1 alone.  ResEdit uses Std File
to get file names, and Std File automatically resolves aliases.  If you are
using MPW, then you can launch ResEdit from MPW and pass it the alias file
as a parameter, since MPW doesn't resolve aliases.

A future version of ResEdit will have a check box in the Std File dialog
asking if it should open the alias instead of the real thing.

>HyperCard fine.  Now I would like to conver the icon from a stack icon
>to the Hypercard icon. (the stack with the hand)  When I tried to open

You should just copy & paste the desired icon in the Finder's Get Info windows.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

gbrown@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Glenn Christopher Brown) (06/28/91)

root@nixbbs.uucp (System Operator) writes:

>In article <13368@uwm.edu> zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) writes:
>>How do you open an Alias file in ResEdit?  Here's an example of what I'm

>If you really want to open the alias file itself, you must do it under System
>6.x.  If you try under 7.0, it'll just open what the alias references.

You can get resedit to open the resource for under system 7.0 by 'Getting
Info' on the alias, and clearing the 'alias' bit.  Then you can view/edit
the resource fork of the alias... Just remember to reset the 'alias' bit!

Later,
--Glenn

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (06/30/91)

n article <13368@uwm.edu> zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) writes:

>How do you open an Alias file in ResEdit?  Here's an example of what I'm
>[...]
>HyperCard fine.  Now I would like to conver the icon from a stack icon
>to the Hypercard icon. (the stack with the hand)  When I tried to open
>the alias file in ResEdit, it would open the home stack.  Is there any
>way to open an alias that I'm not seeing?

Actually, with ResEdit 2.1 open, you can then select the "Get File/Folder
Info"
menu item and open an alias. You will find an "alias" check box option which
you should de-select, then close and save the file info. Then select "Open"
from the menu and select the alias you want. As the alias bit isn't set,
ResEdit
will allow you to open the alias resources (there's only one) and look at them

(it).

For some reason, this doesn't seem to work unless you click on the "get Info"
button in the "Get File/Folder Info" dialog (instead of double-clicking on the

file name), so remember that little detail or you will get nothing.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org