[comp.sources.games.bugs] Conquer shar file pt.3 error

jgsst3@cisunx.UUCP (Lucifer) (01/24/88)

help!

when running unshar on the third part of the conquer posting
i get a msg that says "commands.c unpacked with wrong size"

is this just this site that has this prob or is it more widespread?
are there any uncorrupted versions of part 3 out there?
would someone please e-mail me one?

many thanks
john schmid
--
      Help, I'm being controlled by a sinister alien syndicate
          and being forced to work with people I don't like!

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (Debugger) (01/24/88)

In article <6385@cisunx.UUCP> jgsst3@cisunx.UUCP (Lucifer) writes:
>help!
>
>when running unshar on the third part of the conquer posting
>i get a msg that says "commands.c unpacked with wrong size"
>
>is this just this site that has this prob or is it more widespread?
>are there any uncorrupted versions of part 3 out there?
>would someone please e-mail me one?
>
>many thanks
>john schmid
>--

Yours is not the only site with that problem. I had it as well. I also found
that the shar files are missing a few files, most noticibly header.h, which
is referred to in the README file and will not compile without it. I have
e-mailed to both the author and the moderator of comp.sources.games about
this.

Brian O'Neill					University of Lowell
boneill@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu   -   boneill@hawk.UUCP

saponara@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (John Saponara) (01/26/88)

In article <2495@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (Debugger) writes:
>Yours is not the only site with that problem. I had it as well. I also found
>that the shar files are missing a few files, most noticibly header.h, which
>is referred to in the README file and will not compile without it. I have
>e-mailed to both the author and the moderator of comp.sources.games about
>this.

In the meantime, you could copy the files from your old 'conquest' sources,
if you have them: header.h seems to be the old header file, with some new
constants (DEFAULTDIR - your default info directory, LOGIN - the
administrator's account name, VERSION - some string, e.g. "Version 2.0").
Delete everything in the old header.h past the line with "DO NOT ALTER BELOW
THIS LINE", as this is now in "data.h".

Other missing files (at the minimum): update.c (I copied the old one, adding
the #include "data.h" line.  Also had to change the definition of "extern occ"
to type "char") and man.page (documentation) don't exist in the second
sending.

Bug #1:  in the Makefile, there is a line under "install:" (line 62) which is:

	conquer -d$(DATA) -m

Change this to:

	$(EXECUTABLE)/conquer -d$(DATA) -m

so that you can run your makefile from a different directory.

Bug #2:  when creating a player position and the player's password is asked
for, I noticed (at least on this HP 350) that it is impossible to have
passwords of 8 or more characters.  Haven't looked to see why yet - just
thought I'd warn you all it takes in only the first 7 characters.

Bug #3:  README should mention that System V people should do a

	#define SYSV

in the header.h file (though, come to think of it, maybe this is in the new
header.h file that none of us received).

All for now,

Eric Haines (not John Saponara)