[comp.sources.games.bugs] Omega problems with compiling? Running?

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (01/27/88)

Hmmm.. Figured I would compile the distribution of Omega on my UNIX pc
and ran into the normal conversion problems from BSD to System V.

Also I had to rename the files that were over 14 characters long ;-)

#include <strings.h>     ->   #include <string.h>
#include <sys/timeb.h>   ->   #include <time.h>

srandom() -> srand()
random()  -> rand()

After all that and this I had this linking error.
[...]
ld: can't allocate output section *group*, of size     36ae08
ld fatal: internal error: audit_groups, findsanode failure
*** Error code 13

Stop.

Hmmm... Then I tried linking it with the shared libraries, it linked
with a size of:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 lenny   icus     420708 Jan 26 19:24 omega

Ugh!  Then after all that, I wanted to see if it was all worth it ...

$ omega
sh: omega: too big

Double Ugh!  Oh well... I guess it isn't worth it :-) ... Not for 800+
of executable (stripped, and linked with shared libraries ???)

							-Lenny
--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1

matt@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Matt Costello) (01/28/88)

In article <232@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>$ omega
>sh: omega: too big

On a Pyramid 90x, Omega is
	 344K  code
	 106K  initialized data
	3428K  uninitialized data
	----
	3878K  total

Unless you have at least 4 MB of virtual address space don't even bother
to compile it.  Having shared libraries will not help.

The uninitialized data is dominated by the "Dungeon" array, which is
40x64x64x20, or 3200K.  If just the town level and the current level
were kept in memory then this would drop to 160K, reducing the total
memory needed to just 838K.  This would fit in a 1MB machine.  Now
all that is needed is somebody to make the changes.
--
Matt Costello	<matt.costello@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
+1 619 485 2926	<matt.costello%SanDiego.NCR.COM@Relay.CS.NET>

ries@trwrb.UUCP (Marc Ries) (01/29/88)

     Unfortunately, I get core dumps all the time (Pyramid 98x running
     4.0 OSX).

     FYI, adb says that they are occuring during a call to "time_clock".
     Otime.c passes lint, but I have not gone through all of the other
     calls (to time_clock).

--
		Marc A. Ries

		sdcrdcf!---\
                ihnp4!------\----- trwrb! --- ries

steve@polyslo.UUCP (Steve DeJarnett) (01/30/88)

In article <4710@trwrb.UUCP> ries@trwrb.dsd.trw.com.UUCP (Marc Ries) writes:
>     Unfortunately, I get core dumps all the time (Pyramid 98x running
>     4.0 OSX).

	It's up and running on our 98x w/OSx 4.0 (soon to be 4.1, if we're
brave enough :-).  The only problem we have is with the ~4 Meg run sizes.
It's really annoying when you try to start the game and you get a "Not enough
memory" exit from the game.

	I didn't do the install here, but if you send mail to
trwind!polyslo!games, the Games master can tell you what (if any) mods he
made to make it run.

| Steve DeJarnett		|    ...!ihnp4!csun!polyslo!steve	      |
| Computer Systems Lab		|    ...!{csustan,csun,sdsu}!polyslo!steve    |
| Cal Poly State Univ.		|    ...!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve	      |
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407	|    					      |
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

davids@iscuva.ISCS.COM (David Schmidt) (02/02/88)

In article <2012@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> matt@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Matt Costello) writes:

>The uninitialized data is dominated by the "Dungeon" array, which is
>40x64x64x20, or 3200K.  If just the town level and the current level
>were kept in memory then this would drop to 160K, reducing the total
>memory needed to just 838K.  This would fit in a 1MB machine.  Now
>all that is needed is somebody to make the changes.

If you don't have the time to re-do the entire dungeon array, you can
recover a lot of space by changing ints to shorts in a number of
the arrays.  This assumes of course that your C compiler uses 32 bit
ints and 16 bit shorts.

Someone here did that and dropped the size by ~800K, which was enough
to get it running on his machine (4mb virtual).

Sorry, but he hasn't passed me any diff files yet!
--
David Schmidt              UUCP:  davids@iscuva.ISCS.COM
ISC Systems Corporation           (uunet!iscuva!davids)