[comp.sources.games.bugs] omega core bug

carole@uhccux.UUCP (Carole Chang) (01/24/88)

I've been repeatedly kicked out of the game Omega, with a message saying
something like, "Oops, I am getting a core dump signal!"  There seems
to be no "core" file left from the dump, and it only seems to happen after
killing a sewer rat.  Does anyone know anything about this?

By the way, don't send your fixes to me, because I don't know anything
about programming.  Either post your solutions to the newsgroup or send
them to my friend, userid julian, on the same node as I am on.  Thanks!!

--
+-Carole+Chang+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-"I heard an 'um'e-+
+-carole@uhccux.bitnet+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-exposing+themselves-to+bushes."-+

adb@bucsb.UUCP (Adam Bryant) (01/25/88)

I have also found a bug that causes omega to dump you from
the game...

it occurs whenever you are fighting in the arena and an
oppenent runs away from you.

it first informs you that you are $2500 in debt to the gymnasium...
( is this a bug... you are penalized for someone else's cowardice? )
and then causes a strange thing to occur:

an 'm' appears on the space you were standing on and if you
try to 'x'amine it or fight it ... the game says something like:
'Oops ... i have detected a core bug... would you like me to attempt
to save?"
which it will do successfully...which is some sort of blessing.

--
    Adam Bryant                     ||  ARPANET: adb@bucsb.bu.edu
    91 Bay State Rd                 ||  BITNET: adb@buenga engb0du@bostonu

davids@munnari.oz (David Spaziani) (01/28/88)

in article <1466@uhccux.UUCP>, carole@uhccux.UUCP (Carole Chang) says:

> I've been repeatedly kicked out of the game Omega, with a message saying
> something like, "Oops, I am getting a core dump signal!"  There seems
> to be no "core" file left from the dump, and it only seems to happen after
> killing a sewer rat.  Does anyone know anything about this?

The same bug appears in my copy of Omega. The core dump is produced
after killing the last monster on a level. The piece of offending code
is found at the very end of "otime.c"

	.
	.
	prevml = ml;
	ml = ml->next;
	}
      }

This is OK until ml = NULL, at which point omega crashes. The simple fix
is obviously to add

	if (ml != NULL) ml = ml->next;

The moral of the story, I guess, is that all the world is not a Vax :-)

  David Spaziani
  ==============

===========================
UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,ukc,ubc-vision}!munnari!davids
ARPA:	davids%munnari.oz@seismo.css.gov
CSNET:	davids%munnari.oz@australia

pwing@apple.UUCP (Philip L. Wing) (01/29/88)

In article <1966@munnari.oz>, davids@munnari.oz (David Spaziani) writes:
> in article <1466@uhccux.UUCP>, carole@uhccux.UUCP (Carole Chang) says:
> >
> > I've been repeatedly kicked out of the game Omega, with a message saying
> > something like, "Oops, I am getting a core dump signal!"  There seems
> > to be no "core" file left from the dump, and it only seems to happen after
> > killing a sewer rat.  Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> The same bug appears in my copy of Omega. The core dump is produced
> after killing the last monster on a level. The piece of offending code
> is found at the very end of "otime.c"
>
> 	.
> 	.
> 	prevml = ml;
> 	ml = ml->next;
> 	}
>       }
>
> This is OK until ml = NULL, at which point omega crashes. The simple fix
> is obviously to add
>
> 	if (ml != NULL) ml = ml->next;
>
> The moral of the story, I guess, is that all the world is not a Vax :-)

Nope.  I can try the fix, but I was crashing on a 780 under Ultrix 1.2. (
Yes, the sysops have 2.0, but they haven't set it up yet...)

--
Live Long And Prosper and May The Force Be With You(And The Carrier, Too...)

				Philip L. Wing

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) (01/29/88)

In article <1966@munnari.oz> davids@munnari.oz (David Spaziani) writes:
>in article <1466@uhccux.UUCP>, carole@uhccux.UUCP (Carole Chang) says:
>> I've been repeatedly kicked out of the game Omega, with a message saying
>> something like, "Oops, I am getting a core dump signal!"  There seems
>> to be no "core" file left from the dump, and it only seems to happen after
>> killing a sewer rat.  Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> [ describes a fix ]
>
>The moral of the story, I guess, is that all the world is not a Vax :-)

Correction:  Even on a vax/11-780 running bsd4.3, this bug surfaced.
So, can we modify the above by saying "The moral:  Even vaxes
aren't vaxes."

BTW:  Thanks for the fix.

-MikeP

cmness@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Ness) (01/30/88)

After adding the corrections to the otime.c file, as provided by David
Spazini at Melbourne Uni. in Australia, I was still getting the damned
core-dumps, though not as many.  It also peeved me that I could only attemp
saves for these dumps while on the city level.  Then I got smart.  I went
into the o.c file, went down at the end where the code is:

      mprint("Sorry, caught a core-dump signal.");
      if (Dlevel==0) {
        mprint("Want to try and save the game?");
        if (ynq()=='y')
          save();
      }

and changed it to read:

      mprint("Sorry, caught a core-dump signal.");
      mprint("  Want to try and save the game?");
        if (ynq()=='y')
          save();

So far this has worked for me and has allieviate my core-dump induced
high blood pressure.  I have yet to loose a char via the dreaded Dump.

-Chris

val@terminus.UUCP (Val Kartchner) (02/03/88)

     From what I've read, Omega sounds like a pretty good game (except for a
     few bugs which all things have).  Could we get more information on it
     and especially the SOURCE?