[comp.sources.games.bugs] Xconq New version out w/vt100

led@lsrhs.UUCP (Jay Jungalwala) (07/03/88)

	Can you say SUCKS!!!  I played the new version that is supposed to
work on vt100 type terminals.  I knew it was not hot, but this thing was
aweful.  The screen display never once worked right.  All the symbols are
the wrong things, ('.' water, '+' Land.  I mean it should be like ( '~'
water, '.' Land, '^' mountains, '=' Swamp. etc....) Well anyways..  I am
going to try adn fix the redisplay a lot more, and I like how it core dumps
every say 10 minutes.  Well true it is better then nothing, but I mean I
expected more from the guy who wrote this, I mean would you want your name
on a product like that.  Well if someone else is going to redo the screen
display I would rather not, really a waste of time, at the this point in
time.

						-JJ

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (07/04/88)

In article <811@lsrhs.UUCP> led@lsrhs.UUCP (Jay Jungalwala) writes:

>	Can you say SUCKS!!!  I played the new version that is supposed to
>work on vt100 type terminals.  I knew it was not hot, but this thing was
>aweful.  The screen display never once worked right.  All the symbols are
>the wrong things, ('.' water, '+' Land.  I mean it should be like ( '~'
>water, '.' Land, '^' mountains, '=' Swamp. etc....) Well anyways..  I am
>going to try adn fix the redisplay a lot more, and I like how it core dumps
>every say 10 minutes.  Well true it is better then nothing, but I mean I
>expected more from the guy who wrote this, I mean would you want your name
>on a product like that.  Well if someone else is going to redo the screen
>display I would rather not, really a waste of time, at the this point in
>time.
>

>						-JJ

I simply couldn't let this rubbish pass without comment...

I play xconq on the Sun, and have some experience with the VAXStation
version.  It is a superior programme, and obviously was a MAJOR undertaking
on the part of the author.  Furthermore, a coworker here has been dealing with
the author and found him quite willing to work on fixing bugs.  The author
further is VERY candid about the fact that there are still many bugs to be
fixed and that the vt100 stuff is of questionable utility.  It was after all
written for X Windows...

If you feel so grand as to be able to make such petty statements about the
programme, then why don't you put youre money where youre mouth is and
fix what you dont like.  But then, silly me, you did state that you felt it
was a waste of time.  Fine...delete it all from your machine and dont play
it.  Unless you have something to contribute, don't waste our time with your
petty diatribes...

That is not to say that we should ignore bugs and worship programme authors
regardless of the quality of thier work.  On the contrary, that is what
this group is for.  But we should be working on fixes, not idiotic flames.
For myself, i intend to do what i can to perfect the game.  In concept and
excecution, it has many virtues, and im sure it will sap a huge amount of time
away from my other responsibilities...;'}

Oh, and one parting word:  I myself would be proud to have my name associated
with xconq.  I would not, however, want my name associated with the article
you posted.  It shows lack of maturity and civility....

	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken@gatech.edu		inhp4, masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl,
	ccastks@gitvm1.bitnet	unmvax, ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

	soon to be open: ...!gatech!spooge!ken (finally ;'})

led@lsrhs.UUCP (Jay Jungalwala) (07/04/88)

In article <17263@gatech.edu> ken@gatech.UUCP (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

>I play xconq on the Sun, and have some experience with the VAXStation
>version.  It is a superior programme, and obviously was a MAJOR undertaking
>on the part of the author.

	First of all, I have played the real version of this game a hundred
times over, and I like it.  It is very well written, although sometimes core
dumps after about 3 houts of play time.  I am saying if the guy who wrote
the original did such a good job on the "X" version then I expected a little
better on the curses version.

>then why don't you put youre money where youre mouth is and
>fix what you dont like.  But then, silly me, you did state that you felt it
>was a waste of time.

	No I ment it is a waste of time because, either I am way to busy,
and the fact that I play the X version more then I would play the curses
version so it is a waste of time.