[comp.sources.games.bugs] Using Xfonts for rogue

bloom@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Marc Bloom) (07/19/88)

 I have tried to start up rogue using the rogue fonts for X10R4
but when I do I get beautiful pictures and unreadable text.
Can someone tell me how to run rogue with the pictoral fonts
and still be able to read the text?

hauck@faline.bellcore.com (Scott Hauck) (07/19/88)

In article <> bloom@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Marc Bloom) writes:

> I have tried to start up rogue using the rogue fonts for X10R4
>but when I do I get beautiful pictures and unreadable text.
>Can someone tell me how to run rogue with the pictoral fonts
>and still be able to read the text?

I tried this once and quickly gave it up.  First of all, the rogue fonts
are incomplete.  There aren't symbols defined for all of the necessary
characters.  Also, to use the fonts and also be able to read the text
you have to do some hacking to the code.  Either the normal lettering or
the screen characters have to be changed into bold fonts - a major
undertacking.  If someone out there decides they want to spent the time
and effort good luck, and I'd like to get a copy.  However, remeber to
do it you have to either track down every message or every place a
monster, wall, corridor, and object is printed.

Scott Hauck
Hauck@faline.bellcore.com
Hauck@postgres.berkeley.edu

In article <5492@super.upenn.edu> bloom@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Marc Bloom) writes:

> I have tried to start up rogue using the rogue fonts for X10R4
>but when I do I get beautiful pictures and unreadable text.
>Can someone tell me how to run rogue with the pictoral fonts
>and still be able to read the text?

Yeah, anyone know the *right* way to do this?

I've been forking rogue into a window with the graphics font and
teeing it back to the tty in a smaller window with a text font;
the result is that I appear to have the game running twice.

Another thing:  Does anyone else ever accidentally hit ctrl-Y?
Does anyone know how to recover from it?  This may be processor-
specific, but I don't know; just send me the answer if it's
the game and not the computer.

				--Blair

In article <1998@faline.bellcore.com> hauck@faline.UUCP (Scott Hauck) writes:
>In article <> bloom@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Marc Bloom) writes:
>>
>> I have tried to start up rogue using the rogue fonts for X10R4
[...]
>I tried this once and quickly gave it up.  First of all, the rogue fonts
>are incomplete.  There aren't symbols defined for all of the necessary

What's Missing!?  I've been playing for a long time (no, I still have
to tee all output to a non-graphics-font window to read anything)
and I have yet to run into anything "invisible" that shouldn't be
(e.g. the Phantom _should_).

				--Blair

brengle@hpcltjb.HP.COM (Tim Brengle) (07/23/88)

Well....

About 2 years ago I managed to make the stuff work right almost all of the time
and hacked on the fonts extensively.

Please forgive me that my recollections are vague.  It has been a while since I
looked at it.  After all, once it's fixed, why mess with it? :-)

The package of source that I received included sources to curses and to
termcap, both of which (as well as the actual game sources) needed *MINOR*
changes to work with the fonts.

In the curses stuff, I had to fix up the way that standout mode worked.  I seem
to remember that it was inappropriately striping off the 8th bit, which was
being used byt the standout routines.

In the termcap stuff, the fix was related to a non-font bug:  you could only
save the game some small number of times before restorals would croak.  It was
the result of some counter not being initialized to 0.

Most of the changes went into the game's code, but it wasn't all that bad.  It
took longer to hack the fonts!  There is a single routine that does almost all
the work of putting messages into the top line.  I think it was called
(strangely enough) msg.  I changed it so that it stopped standout mode, wrote
the message, and restarted standout mode.  You can probably tell that that
means that most of the characters were written in standout mode.  The other
major place that needed to be fixed (in exactly the same way) was the routine
which wrote the status line at the bottom of the screen.

There were a couple of other places that asked questions of the player that
needed the same change.  They were in the modules dealing with the each of the
types of objects.  I found them by playing and fixing them as I found them.

The most time consuming was the font editing.  The fonts were for version 5.3
and I hacked up a 7.0 version.  Lots of the monsters had changed.  *SIGH*  In
fact, I got so tired of it that there still are shome which are merely letters.

The game looks *REALLY* nice when you can use nice fonts...

I hope that this helps somewhat.

Tim Brengle				brengle@hplabs.hp.com
California Language Lab
Hewlett-Packard Company

tek1@mtuxj.att.com (Thomas E. Kenny) (07/27/88)

If anybody gets mpss to work on System V Rel 3 for 3b2 machines
I would like to here about it, thanks!