[comp.sources.games.bugs] Wanderer screen 13

cjs@moncsbruce.oz (Chris Stuart) (07/25/88)

EVERY screen in wanderer is soluble exactly as given, using the
source exactly as given. Even screen 13.

I cheated in the usual way - by keeping a dump of input
keystrokes and reusing them up until just before the previous
mistake. Even so, it took many false attempts and failed
strategies to get number 13.

There is one more bug in the source. After completing screen 13,
you should get killed by a non-existant screen. However, the
fclose call in read.c causes a core dump by being applied to a
null pointer.

***************
*** 21,26
      if(fscanf(fp,"%*s\n%d",maxmoves) != 1)
       *maxmoves=0;
      };
- fclose(fp);
  return (fp == NULL);
  }
--- 21,26 -----
      if(fscanf(fp,"%*s\n%d",maxmoves) != 1)
       *maxmoves=0;
+     fclose(fp);
      };
  return (fp == NULL);
  }
***************

With this one fix only to the source, there is a run to
completion with a final score of 10144. This run collects every
trap, diamond and packed earth from every screen, except for two
packed earths on screen 6, which i think have to be left to
protect you from arrows.

The 13 screens are very clever, although i suspect the solution to number
13 is due not so much to clever design, as to good fortune. Good game.
I look forward to seeing a new version with a larger screen, and without
the feature that lets sprites occasionally eat up other objects.

Regards, Chris Stuart.

PS. Here is the final bit of output (by way of evidence).

The password to jump from level 13 ( using ~ ) is : saucy
PRESS ANY KEY TO REMOVE IT AND CONTINUE

File for screen 14 unavailable.

cjs killed by a non-existant screen with a score of 10144 on level 14.

Creating new hiscore table.

No. Score Level           Names                 How they died
 1 10144  14      cjs                      killed by a non-existant screen

WANDERER (C)1988 S. Shipway

play@cwi.nl (The MC Funhouse Master) (07/29/88)

I stand corrected.

In article <480@moncsbruce.oz> cjs@moncsbruce.oz (Chris Stuart) writes:
 > EVERY screen in wanderer is soluble exactly as given, using the
 > source exactly as given. Even screen 13.

While I maintained it is not possible.

 > I cheated in the usual way - by keeping a dump of input
 > keystrokes and reusing them up until just before the previous
You can hardly call that cheating.
 > mistake. Even so, it took many false attempts and failed
 > strategies to get number 13.
I can imagine; i have not yet solved it in the original version.

 > With this one fix only to the source, there is a run to
 > completion with a final score of 10144. This run collects every
 > trap, diamond and packed earth from every screen, except for two
 > packed earths on screen 6, which i think have to be left to
 > protect you from arrows.
I think so too.  If we add a piece of earth at the place of the dollar
sign below:
	###O#######################*############
	#*>:*           $::::= O=*OO      :<<<O=
	#==:    !      OOO:=   *=*::    ==*<*<*=
	#       *<<>>>>::::=== = =      X=======
screen 6 can be done except for only one piece of earth.

 > The 13 screens are very clever, although i suspect the solution to number
 > 13 is due not so much to clever design, as to good fortune. Good game.
I presume the author of the screen (who is the author of the game) did not
realise what the sprites would do when starting with a game.

 > I look forward to seeing a new version with a larger screen, and without
 > the feature that lets sprites occasionally eat up other objects.
This was my problem.  On the 22nd turn with screen 13 a piece of land is
eaten that holds the three arrows.  Now, finally, I found a way to prevent
this (and I believe there is only one way here).  Still I think the intention
of this screen is quite different from what you see with the original version
of the program.  I corrected some bugs and changed some things in the source
(I fixed also the eating problem), so that in our version you can play screen 13
according to the spirit.  I have send these changes to the author and I
presume they will be included in the updated version he intends to post.
--
Game Keeper
Mail: play@cwi.nl