[comp.sources.games.bugs] yahtzee bug

ruchira@druco.ATT.COM (Ruchira S. Datta) (07/29/88)

	I've just compiled and run yahtzee, and have found a terminal I/O bug:
	the program never seems to check its character buffer except after exiting
	the help window or the rule book.  That is, in order to get it to read your
	character, you have to press either "?q" or "b " immediately after it.
	The exceptions (as far as I know) are when you press "r" to ask it for its
	recommendation as to which dice to hold, when you press <CR> (for any reason),
	or when you select an option at the end of the game.  Although this bug does
	not significantly alter the game itself, it does add a significant irritation
	factor which makes the game much less enjoyable.  Anyone have a patch for
	this?

stacey@hcr.UUCP (Stacey Campbell) (08/04/88)

In article <3013@druco.ATT.COM> ruchira@druco.UUCP writes:
>I've just compiled and run yahtzee, and have found a terminal I/O bug:
>the program never seems to check its character buffer except after exiting
>the help window or the rule book.

Did you edit the makefile?  If you are running System V Release 2 or less
(or BSD) then you must change the UNIX_BRAND definition in the makefile
to reflect your operating system.

System V Release 3 does an automatic window refresh directly before input
occurs, this can save a lot of IO if curses realises that your are inputting
for several refreshes after the last one it completed; it doesn't output
all the unnecessary screen changes.

You appear to be posting from an ATT site, and since you don't seem
to be running SVR3 there is a 99.9% chance that changing UNIX_BRAND
to SYS5 will give you a correctly working version of yahtzee.

>Although this bug does not significantly alter the game itself,
>it does add a significant irritation factor which makes the game
>much less enjoyable.  Anyone have a patch for this?

It is extremely likely you are responsible for irritating yourself, did
you read the README file?

If anyone else has problems don't forget to say what operating system
and architecture you are working with.  Remember it has only been
ported to SVR2, SVR3 and an IBM RT running BSD.
--
{lsuc,utzoo,utcsri}!hcr!hcr!stacey Stacey Campbell, HCR Corporation,
130 Bloor St W, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. +1 416 922 1937 X48

norma@hpcllmv.HP.COM (Norma Pincus) (08/06/88)

>> stacey@hcr.UUCP (Stacey Campbell) /  9:43 am  Aug  4, 1988 /
>> Remember it has only been
>> ported to SVR2, SVR3 and an IBM RT running BSD.
--
Works fine on an HP9000/840 (HP-PA)