[comp.sources.games.bugs] wanderer2, screens 16-18

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (Randy_Davis) (11/01/88)

  OK, skipping screen 13 because of the impossible-to-get-at gem in the
upper right corner, I also find these problems:

screen 16: One "S" and one "M", i.e. one little monster and one large monster,
	with TWO cages, which are counted as part of the gem count, So.... the
	gem count is one higher than is possible.
	  If THAT gets fixed, how about adding an exit since that is missing
	also.

screen 17: I have this scenario on my machine:

                          >>>/!|
                           !*!*|
                          #####| where this is the right edge of the screen.

     Anybody got any ideas as to how to get that gem by the wall *and* get out?
(I assume a teleport could be set up to get you there, how about getting out?)

  It looks like screen 18 is a repeat of the mistakes made on the original
wanderer version screen 13.  The little monsters get into a holding pattern
very soon after starting the level.  While it *may* be possible to break them
out of it, it is frankly not worth the trouble, as instead of a strategic
bit of maneuvering, you are left to outguess the bug in the program that allows
them to get into holding patterns in the first place (yes, I see how it happens,
I just don't see any reason for letting it do it).

Just some comments....

Randy Davis					UUCP: ...(att!)ocrjd!randy
						      ...(att!)occrsh!rjd

hans@duttnph.uucp (11/05/88)

In article <427@occrsh.ATT.COM> rjd@occrsh.UUCP (Randy_Davis) writes:

>  OK, skipping screen 13 because of the impossible-to-get-at gem in the
>upper right corner, I also find these problems:

(problems deleted)

>  It looks like screen 18 is a repeat of the mistakes made on the original
>wanderer version screen 13.  The little monsters get into a holding pattern
>very soon after starting the level.  While it *may* be possible to break them
>out of it, it is frankly not worth the trouble, as instead of a strategic
>bit of maneuvering, you are left to outguess the bug in the program that allows
>them to get into holding patterns in the first place (yes, I see how it happens,
>I just don't see any reason for letting it do it).

Seems like you know more than we do. I take it there IS a bug in level 13
which allows you to get the top right hand diamond (bug meaning plain logic
won't help you). I've found that I can walk into the ceiling on four places,
two of which get me killed by a hungry monster (what monster ?). That got
something to do with it ?

This is on a Sun4 (SunOs 3.5) with the patches to levels 16 and 17 applied.

Any hints how to find this bug ? Or am I too stupid to find the way out ?

Happy wondering (or wandering ?),

	Hans
	(hans@duttnph.uucp, mcvax!duttnph!hans)

Disclaimer: my employer hasn't reached screen 2 yet !