[comp.sources.games.bugs] Multiplayer StarTrek on System V/386 3.2

chimelis@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Chris Chimelis) (11/07/88)

Has anyone gotten mpss to work on a System V/386 3.2 machine?
We keep having problems mostly with main.c and the ioctl call.
I recall someone posting that they have a SysV substitute for
BSD's FIONREAD and TIOCNOTTY.  Please help (email please unless
someone else wants to know also).

		Thanks,
		Chris Chimelis

chris chimelis
chimelis@refuge.colorado.edu
...ncar!boulder!refuge!chimelis
chimelis%boulder@colorado.bitnet

wolfer@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Wolfson) (11/07/88)

In article <4477@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, chimelis@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Chris Chimelis) writes:

> Has anyone gotten mpss to work on a System V/386 3.2 machine?
> We keep having problems mostly with main.c and the ioctl call.
> I recall someone posting that they have a SysV substitute for
> BSD's FIONREAD and TIOCNOTTY.  Please help (email please unless
> someone else wants to know also).

You read my mind.. I was just sitting here wondering the same thing.
The game looks like it has potential.. but it's virtually useless
in its present state in a UNIX V environment. A few months ago,
someone posted the "conversion" as part of the bug fixes, but after
spending about an hour typing the changes in (he didn't set it up for
patch) I compiled it, and zilch. My Star Ship just sits there getting
blasted. None of the keys to manuver, fire weapons, etc. work.
If anyone has something that they are USING currently which is
working on UNIX V, please
post it. If nothing is posted within a week, well.. rm *.c *.o
works great on any UNIX system. :+)@.

Paul Wolfson				"Goyk!"
att!ihuxy!wolfer

In article <2703@ihuxy.ATT.COM> wolfer@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Wolfson) writes:
>> someone else wants to know also).
>
>You read my mind.. I was just sitting here wondering the same thing.
>The game looks like it has potential.. but it's virtually useless
>in its present state in a UNIX V environment. A few months ago,
>someone posted the "conversion" as part of the bug fixes, but after
>spending about an hour typing the changes in (he didn't set it up for
>patch) I compiled it, and zilch. My Star Ship just sits there getting
>blasted. None of the keys to manuver, fire weapons, etc. work.
>If anyone has something that they are USING currently which is
>working on UNIX V, please
>post it. If nothing is posted within a week, well.. rm *.c *.o
>works great on any UNIX system. :+)@.

It is a nice game.  I compiled it on the Vax at work running 4.3 BSD,
but it don't go here.  We've patched and repatched.  We even tried to
find substitutes to those commands, but no dice.  It wouldn't even
pull up with a screen.  We're also trying to get it to recognise the
AT386-M definition in the termcap file (termlib didn't do any good).
Any luck at adding new terminal definitions?  The description was
pretty cryptic.  Anyway, we're trying to amass a library of games so
if you have any more, let me know (email is a better place).  We have
a few, but not many.  Anyway, if you come up with a fix, let me know
and I'll really appreciate it.  Thanks alot.

chimelis%boulder.colorado.edu@colorado.BITNET