[comp.sources.games.bugs] Fixes for the impossible wanderer screens.

games@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fun and Games) (11/13/88)

I checked out the buggy wanderer screens (13,16,17,20), and the fixes that
Randy Davis posted (rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM). I also worked on 18, but haven't been
able to figure it out yet. Will the poster who said it was solvable please
certify that it is consistently solvable.

Randy's suggested changes to 20 and 16 are small and don't seem to change the
character of the screens much, so I went ahead and installed them (thanks
Randy). The changes to 13 and 17 seemed to me to be bigger though, with the
only tough puzzle in 13 made relatively easy, and the corner puzzle in 17
pretty much removed. I think there's still a bug in Randy's 17 too.

After lots of playing around I found that changing only one character makes 13
possible, though REALLY hard. The only change is the deletion of one '='
character. I've solved my changed screen 13 four times in a row, but the
solution is tricky to the point were you might not want to use my change.

Screen 13.
--------------------cut here ---------------------
\ *OOOOOOO*                 * OOOOOOOOO*
O\ *OOOOO*          *       = OOOOOOOOO<
 *\ *OOO*   ================= OOOOOOOO<<
   \ *O*      O O O O O O   = OOOOOOO<<<
    \ *     :             < = OOOOOO<<<<
  /  \      :      *        = OOOOO<<<<<
*/          :>           /    OOOO<<<<<<
/           :             < = OOO<<<<<<<
            :  * * @ * *    / OO<<<<<<<<
            :>           /    O<<<<<<<<<
+=****                   S<            -
X=T                *     =: \          -
================ ==       :  \         -
>O:O>*<O=::::::= O= ===       \        -
>*O*O>*:**OOOO*  := =O=========\ O O O O
*:::*::*=::::::= ==    A       *:*:*:*:*
--------------------cut here ---------------------

Screen 17 seemes to have three fatal flaws. There are the land mines and the
rock dropped by the baby monster in the lower right hand corner, and the gold
to the right of the teleporter (just how were you going to get that one
Randy?). If anybody can find a way around any of these flaws without changing
the screen, please post it. My solution was to move the teleport destination
to one of the land mines (it's not really needed in its old location), and to
move a rock and its dirt up one. This clobbers an '=' and changes the nature
of some of the traps, but at least all of the traps are still there. I've
solved my changed screen 17 twice.

Screen 17.
--------------------cut here ---------------------
 O    O  \OOO*OO>   O    O   OOO   !O O=
        * \OOOO/ ***     \*=:::: !X!OO:=
      \ =  \OO/              ====== :::=
      =* +>::/      <               /\:=
   @   \  !        \     <   ======: = =
        \          !*!        S  *+O =T*
                O  !!!>  /   ======:  ==
=*===           >       /      S     O -
*= !*=                                 -
 =      =\        >                /   -
   <===   \               <=======*== =*
 /       <= ==            = OO OO =   *=
=>           *\           = /O O\ =>>>/!
=>       <=====   <<<   = = =***= : !*A*
*  \*=======* >  =*=*!=*=         =#####
--------------------cut here ---------------------

John McKernan.
games@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  aka  jmckerna@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU.
Sig?! I'm much too busy intalling and improving games to come up with a sig!

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (Randy_Davis) (11/15/88)

In article <5715@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> games@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fun and Games) writes:
:       The changes to 13 and 17 seemed to me to be bigger though, with the
:only tough puzzle in 13 made relatively easy, and the corner puzzle in 17
:pretty much removed. I think there's still a bug in Randy's 17 too.

  Nope - I've solved it over 10 times now.  I did not post any of those without
testing them more than once....

:Screen 17 seemes to have three fatal flaws. There are the land mines and the
:rock dropped by the baby monster in the lower right hand corner, and the gold
:to the right of the teleporter (just how were you going to get that one
:Randy?).

  As I said, the screen 17 *I* posted works.  If you will look closely, you will
notice that I changed an '=' to a '-' on the right edge, enabling you to get
the gem without going through the teleport.

  I appreciate all the scrutiny my proposed changes have prompted.  My sole
intent was to make the impossible levels playable, with the exception of level
18, whose premise I personally did not agree with.  I was not necessarily
intending to make any of the levels easy.

  Steve Shipway sent me a letter telling me that there was a fix posted to
comp.sources.games.bugs and rec.games.misc that makes it so the baby monsters
walk over each other (instead of bouncing on each other into holding patterns).

I LIKE the sound of this fix, as it removes the problems I have with the baby
monsters and my reasons for posting the screen 18 "fix".  This should remove
one of the two ways that they get into holding patterns, the other way being
something moving after they are "locked" onto it.

I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS FIX YET.  IF IT HAS BEEN POSTED AND I MISSED IT, COULD
SOMEBODY PLEASE EMAIL COPY TO ME (to <backbone>!att.att.com!ocrjd!randy) ?

Thanks,
Randy Davis					UUCP: ...(att!)ocrjd!randy
						      ...(att!)occrsh!rjd

4204_5147@uwovax.uwo.ca (Claude Morin) (11/17/88)

I missed that monster fix too; could I also get a copy?  Thanks.

	Claude Morin