[comp.sources.games.bugs] what is the capital of the Netherlands ?

hans@duttnph.UUCP (Hans Buurman) (04/07/89)

I just found out that quiz on our Suns (SunOs 4.0) will accept
the Hague as the capital of the Netherlands. From
/usr/games/lib/quiz.k/europe :

Netherlands|Holland:The Hague|'sGravenhage|den Haag|Amsterdam

Fix:

Change this line to:
Netherlands|Holland:Amsterdam

I'd really like to know if this bug has been around for all those
years. I sure hope that the U.S. government in New York knows better !

Hans

Hans Buurman                   | hans@duttnph.UUCP
Pattern Recognition Group      |
Faculty of Applied Physics     | mcvax!hp4nl!dutrun!duttnph!hans
Delft University of Technology | tel. 31 - (0) 15 - 78 46 94

sjoerd@cwi.nl (Sjoerd Mullender) (04/07/89)

In article <681@dutrun.UUCP> hans@duttnph.UUCP (Hans Buurman) writes:
>I just found out that quiz on our Suns (SunOs 4.0) will accept
>the Hague as the capital of the Netherlands.

[ fix deleted ]

>I'd really like to know if this bug has been around for all those years.

This bug was already present in Version 7 Unix.
As far as I know, the bug has been around for ever.
--
Sjoerd Mullender		e-mail: sjoerd@cwi.nl
Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science, Amsterdam

play@cwi.nl (The MC Funhouse Master) (04/08/89)

In article <8011@boring.cwi.nl> sjoerd@cwi.nl (Sjoerd Mullender) writes:
 > In article <681@dutrun.UUCP> hans@duttnph.UUCP (Hans Buurman) writes:
 > >I just found out that quiz on our Suns (SunOs 4.0) will accept
 > >the Hague as the capital of the Netherlands.
Note that Suns do also accept Amsterdam.

 > >I'd really like to know if this bug has been around for all those years.
 >
 > This bug was already present in Version 7 Unix.
 > As far as I know, the bug has been around for ever.

It was worse in Version 6, in that time Amsterdam was *not* accepted.
(The only extensive work on quiz was done on the transition from
Version 6 to Version 7 and the transition to System III.  Especially
the latter corrected many bugs; but not this one.)
--
Game Keeper
Mail: play@cwi.nl