[comp.sources.games.bugs] Conquer 4.0

mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) (06/30/89)

I'm really having trouble getting conquer4 installed.  It's not due
to unportability problems, but rather, game bugs.  So far, I have had to
comment out a call to get it to add NPC countries, change the size of the
newstring so when it was used it was big enough, and I have had it core dump
on me when I "hit any other key to continue".  I would like to know what
version of Unix this was written on, because surely this program could not
have worked for the authors unless the system was weird.  Is there patches on
the way that I don't know about, or do I have to fix it myself?  Thanks,
anyway, authors, I am a big conquer 3.0 fan, and am eager to see 4.0.
--
+----------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Matthew T. Day, Orem High School, Orem, Utah | "He who laughs, lasts." |

jas@saturn.wustl.edu (J. Schrauner) (06/30/89)

In article <326@ohs.UUCP> mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
>I would like to know what
>version of Unix this was written on, because surely this program could not
>have worked for the authors unless the system was weird.

Conquer refused to work on our Masscomp, but it works quite well on a Sun
4-110 running Sunos 4.0.3.  It fact it works better than conquer 3.0 in that
it can handle much better dynamic window resizing.

Jay Shrauner.

adb@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Adam Bryant) (07/01/89)

In article <347@wuee1.wustl.edu> jas@saturn.UUCP (Jay Shrauner) writes:

>Conquer refused to work on our Masscomp, but it works quite well on a Sun
>4-110 running Sunos 4.0.3.  It fact it works better than conquer 3.0 in that
>it can handle much better dynamic window resizing.

The window resizing was one of my main goals prior to release.  I
tried to make sure all of the display stuff would work on any
reasonably sized screen.  Also, I put checks in to make sure that
the screen was at least a minimum of 80x24

Most of the bugs are due to the fact that it was released quickly when
Ed moved on to his new job.  Not enough debugging was done.

My version is running on an Encore Multimax runnning a 4.2-4.3
variant.  I am not really certain what Ed had his running on.
[Some System V Varient.]

I will be releasing a patch either tonight or tomorrow, depending on
how many more bugs get reported.  So far, most of them sound simple
enough that I should be able to take care of them quickly.  The patch
will contain:

Fixed:
   - newlogin bugs with repro (especially with orcs)
   - newstring in makeworl.c increased from 40 to 100 [not 1000!]
   - '-d' option is treated as a subdirectory of DEFAULTDIR
     unless it begins with a '/'.
   - a number of places where NTOTAL is included in a loop instead
     of being used as a boundary.
   - changing many 'char' to 'unsigned char' in data.h

To be fixed:
   - password bug... [that 'n' on the end bit might be clue enough;
     it has occured before, but never consistantly.]  Will be a
     temporary fix, until I build a better newlogin and makeworld
     interface... and then I will enter passwords a little differently.

adam
[it's going to be a long night... :-)]

--
    Adam Bryant                     ||  ARPANET: adb@bu-it.bu.edu