[comp.sources.games.bugs] conquer v4.0 nations limit

lkaplan@bbn.com (Larry Kaplan) (06/30/89)

Conquer version 4.0 seems to have problems when it runs out of nations slots.
The previously mentioned newlogin() problem is one manifestation.
If you use the entire npc nations file, you are only left with one free
nation.  This means that you can only add one more and if a revolt occurs
it really corrupts the system by trying to create a new nation.  I haven't
looked into the cause but have just commented out a bunch of the npcs.
				 ____ \ / ____
Laurence S. Kaplan		|    \ 0 /    |		BBN Advanced Computers
lkaplan@bbn.com			 \____|||____/		10 Fawcett St.
(617) 873-2431			  /__/ | \__\		Cambridge, MA  02238

ron@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ron Haukenfrers) (07/04/89)

In article <42202@bbn.COM>, lkaplan@bbn.com (Larry Kaplan) writes:
> Conquer version 4.0 seems to have problems when it runs out of nations slots.
> The previously mentioned newlogin() problem is one manifestation.
> If you use the entire npc nations file, you are only left with one free
> nation.  This means that you can only add one more and if a revolt occurs
> it really corrupts the system by trying to create a new nation.  I haven't
> looked into the cause but have just commented out a bunch of the npcs.

The fix here is to turn up the definition of NTOTAL in the headers files.
I set mine to 35 and the problem goes away.  There are already 24 NPC nations
by default so after you add your first new nation it runs out of space.

Regards.

Ron Haukenfrers @ Athabasca University
--
   _____  Ron Haukenfrers @ Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada
  /___ |  {ihnp4,uw-beaver}!alberta!auvax!ron