[comp.sources.games.bugs] Re^3: Hotel lacking display.c

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (07/15/89)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

>srt@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Scott Turner) writes:
>|In article <12160@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>|Sean, I don't know why you're having trouble with overwriting.  A different
>|version of curses/Unix, perhaps?  Hotel was tested under SunOS and a Vax
>|750 running 4.3 BSD.
>I just tested hotel on a 4.3 system. Same problem. The text is being printed
>in the top left hand of the screen, overwriting the board. I suspect you
>meant to have it print the text below the board "window".

Me too, on a 4.2BSD system.  There are a lot of places where
"move(boardsize+5,0)" is followed by  "clear-to-end-of-screen" and then
"printw" ... The printw comes out at the top of the screen.  Are you
allowed to assume that clear to EOS doesn't move the current x,y?

srt@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Scott Turner) (07/16/89)

In article <1614@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
[Possible reason why Hotel may overwrite the board...]
>Me too, on a 4.2BSD system.  There are a lot of places where
>"move(boardsize+5,0)" is followed by  "clear-to-end-of-screen" and then
>"printw" ... The printw comes out at the top of the screen.  Are you
>allowed to assume that clear to EOS doesn't move the current x,y?

Hmm.  Interesting question.  I've always assumed that.  (Obviously :-)
If that's the problem, I suppose that you can just insert "move..."
again after the clear-to-end-of-screen.  If you do that and it works,
please send me the diffs.

    Scott R. Turner
    UCLA Computer Science     "Does school ever end?"
    Domain: srt@cs.ucla.edu