[comp.sources.games.bugs] conquer questions

jack@stevie.cs.unlv.edu (The Prism) (07/16/89)

First of all, conquer looks like a great game.  However, the details
of it's play are not really clear enough in it's help screens.  If it is,
I haven't found where.  Can somebody post a description of how the game
works, in terms of what happens each update, etc.  what the time scale is
in terms of battles, etc.  How about a simple manual?  The manual pages
that come with it look great, if I already knew how to play.  Unfortunately,
I have very little time, and it looks like it could take weeks just to get
a game going.

Thanks in advance for any info,

							--Jack Alexander

water@wheaton.UUCP (Paul Waterman) (07/20/89)

In article <1179@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> jack@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (The Prism) writes:
>First of all, conquer looks like a great game.  However, the details
>of it's play are not really clear enough in it's help screens.

Have you really read through all 30+ pages of the help files?  They are really
very explanatory, much more so than in version 3.

>Can somebody post a description of how the game works, in terms of what
>happens each update, etc.

Read the help file.  It's in there.  Also, playing a test game or two helps.

>what the time scale is in terms of battles, etc.

Each battle is resolved every update.  Each update represents one season.
Thus, each battle takes place in the time period of one season.

>I have very little time, and it looks like it could take weeks just to get
>a game going.

Very true.  Now you see the one problem with this game.  On our site it took
about a month before all the major players really new what was going on with
version 3, and then we still kept finding out new things.  This is not a short-
term game, as is evidenced by the 3 month games that we played without ever
getting really close to declaring a winner.