[comp.sources.games.bugs] Conquer problem

mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) (07/21/89)

I seem to be having some trouble with Conquer version 4.3.  I have made
the world, thereby entering a password for the god nation, but when I tried
to enter the game under "god" with the proper password, it says the password
is wrong.  I had this problem with older 4.x versions, and I don't really feel
like hacking the code up to fix it as it seems like quite a bit of bug fixing
is already going on.  Has anybody else had this problem, or is it just me?
I am running a version of BSD 4.2 on an Icon 3000 mainframe.

Also, I would like to commend the authors on this game, it really looks nice,
I can't wait to get playing soon, as I have played version 2.0 and 3.0 before.
Thanks a lot!
--
+----------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Matthew T. Day, Orem High School, Orem, Utah | "He who laughs, lasts." |

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (07/22/89)

mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:

>I seem to be having some trouble with Conquer version 4.3.  I have made
>the world, thereby entering a password for the god nation, but when I tried
>to enter the game under "god" with the proper password, it says the password
>is wrong.

   I had this problem too and I thought something was incredibly wrong.
I went fumbling around the source and discoved that I was creating a god
password that was too LARGE! Anyway, it appears that the default maximum
password length is SIX characters.  If you create a password any longer
than that, NOTHING will match the password.  Sounds like a bug that
needs to be fixed, eh?

  The maximum length of a password is definable in "data.h" by changing
PASSLTH.  It worked for me.

				Hope it helps...
--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

rae98@wash08.UUCP (rae98) (07/22/89)

In article <413@ohs.UUCP> mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
>I seem to be having some trouble with Conquer version 4.3.  I have made
>the world, thereby entering a password for the god nation, but when I tried
>to enter the game under "god" with the proper password, it says the password
>is wrong. [...]
>| Matthew T. Day, Orem High School, Orem, Utah | "He who laughs, lasts." |
>| ..!uunet!iconsys!ohs!mday (mday@ohs.UUCP)    |    day++, dollar++;     |

Try a password < 6 characters.
Name:	Bob Earl		Phone:	(202) 872-6018 (wk)
UUCP:	...!uunet!wash08!rae98
BITNET:	...rae98@CAS	(At least, that is what I'm told)