[comp.sources.games.bugs] Conquer

paul@torch.UUCP (Paul Andrews) (02/22/88)

Hello. I am new to all this, but conquer sounds good. How/where can I get
a copy?

Thanks in advance - Paul.

ksk@well.UUCP (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji) (07/09/89)

Okay... I got a error while compiling... YUK! ...something was wrong with the
lizard-nation-routine... I had two of them... I deletet one (the one with the
less code)... everything was okay, but the 'make'-file...it stopped every two
minutes, because of weired error-messages... than I had everything... I  even
could play... YEA! ... Almost...    I can play, but when I move me cursor off
the screen the program dies...  the only thing I can do is press ^Z, and kill
the process... remove the lock-file... and start the turn all over again...
 :-( .... HELP!

By the Way... It's a great game anyway...

joel@dtscp1.UUCP (Joel Rives) (07/10/89)

In article <12627@well.UUCP> kianusch@unicom.UUCP (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji) writes:
>                             ...    I can play, but when I move me cursor off
>the screen the program dies...  the only thing I can do is press ^Z, and kill
>the process... remove the lock-file... and start the turn all over again...
> :-( .... HELP!

I too have experienced this problem. The cause seems to be random (though,
i'm fairly certain it's not). At various points, while moving units around,
the screen will lock up. My only recourse seems to be to interupt the process
and then kill it from the shell.

						Joel Rives

jas@saturn.wustl.edu (J. Schrauner) (07/11/89)

I came across the following bugs in Conquer 4.2:

If you have NPC defined but not MONSTER, makeworl.c won't compile because it
uses MONSTER value for number of sectors per NPC nation.  The fix is
to define NPC as a number as well (I used 45, the same as MONSTER) and change
the appropriate lines in makeworl.c  (1002 and 1018)

In line 321 of reports.c there is a spelling error, cstmonst should be
replaced by costmonst.

Finally, the new Makefile doesn't work on our system (Sun 4-110, Sunos 4.0.3).
The old Makefile did.  The problem is the *A.o and *G.o makes.  Quite
simply, they do nothing whatsoever.  If this can't be remedied, could someone
send me the old Makefile?  I killed it when I patched the program.

Thanks,

Jay Shrauner
jas@saturn.wustl.edu

ksk@well.UUCP (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji) (07/12/89)

In article <823@dtscp1.UUCP> joel@dtscp1.UUCP (Joel Rives) writes:

> ... At various points, while moving units around, the screen will lock up.
> My only recourse seems to be to interupt the process and then kill it from
> the shell.

This bug seems to be fixed in patch #2.

But the new Makefile...  YUK!  I am working on a simple BSD4.3 machine, and
it took me about one hour to get this thing to work.  I had to use a System V
make program to get it work.  Otherwise it would complain all the time about
"don't know how to .y." ????

...and I have another problem, when I create have a world, like 80x32, and I
want to add a nation, I get a "floating-exeption" error.

But still... It's a great game... :-)

						Greetings Kianusch

akobayas@cvbnet2.UUCP (Andrew Kobayashi) (07/13/89)

From article <823@dtscp1.UUCP>, by joel@dtscp1.UUCP (Joel Rives):
> In article <12627@well.UUCP> kianusch@unicom.UUCP (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji) writes:
>>                             ...    I can play, but when I move me cursor off
>>the screen the program dies...  the only thing I can do is press ^Z, and kill
>>the process... remove the lock-file... and start the turn all over again...
>> :-( .... HELP!
>
> I too have experienced this problem. The cause seems to be random (though,
> i'm fairly certain it's not). At various points, while moving units around,
> the screen will lock up. My only recourse seems to be to interupt the process
> and then kill it from the shell.
>
> 						Joel Rives

Ditto here.  In my case it only seems to happen when i'm moving east
(to the right).  Very odd.  I haven't had time to start tracking it
down.

Also, i only seem to be able to add one PC country.  When i go to add
the second, it says "next available country = 0" (or words to that effect)
and chucks me out.  This is supposed to happen when the player array
fills up, but i've counted the NPC nations and there should still be
some room.  Do the random guys (pirates, barbarians, etc.) take up
space in the same array?  Should i just make the array bigger?

		--Andrew Kobayashi

joel@dtscp1.UUCP (Joel Rives) (07/13/89)

In article <12663@well.UUCP> ksk@well.UUCP (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji) writes:
>In article <823@dtscp1.UUCP> joel@dtscp1.UUCP (Joel Rives) writes:
>>
>> ... At various points, while moving units around, the screen will lock up.
>> My only recourse seems to be to interupt the process and then kill it from
>> the shell.
>
>This bug seems to be fixed in patch #2.

Yes, this does seem to have been fixed in V4.2. In fact, the volume of
bug fixes in the recent patch seems to suggest the level of interest in
the game. As for the Makefile, well, i didn't really like the way the
original one was set up so i made my own modifications -- primarily to
the installation and setup rules. The only addition in the new Makefile
which i found useful was the stripping of the executables, which i had
already added.

Happy gaming and thanks to all those who have contributed to making conquer
version 4.2 a reality!

							Joel

lucas@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Kevin Lucas Lord) (07/16/89)

	I need some help. Whenever I try to see the Production
chart or change my nation, or do the adminstration command
it core dumps saying "Illegal Instrucion". Does anyone know the
problem if so please postnews or e-mail me about it.

rae98@wash08.UUCP (rae98) (07/16/89)

In article <1251@cvbnet2.UUCP> akobayas@cvbnet2.UUCP (Andrew Kobayashi) writes:
>From article <823@dtscp1.UUCP>, by joel@dtscp1.UUCP (Joel Rives):
>> In article <12627@well.UUCP> kianusch@unicom.UUCP (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji) writes:
>>>                             ...    I can play, but when I move me cursor off
>>>the screen the program dies... [...deletes...]
>> I too have experienced this problem. [...more deletes...]
>Ditto here.[...more deletes...]
>Also, i only seem to be able to add one PC country.  When i go to add
>the second, it says "next available country = 0" (or words to that effect)
>and chucks me out.  This is supposed to happen when the player array
>fills up, but i've counted the NPC nations and there should still be
>some room.  Do the random guys (pirates, barbarians, etc.) take up
>space in the same array?  Should i just make the array bigger?

The first problem mentioned has been fixed (at least as far as I can
tell here) with the second patch.

To answer the second question, yes, the random guys take up room
(at the high end, I believe).  Increasing the max # of players is
one way to get around this.  Another would be to edit the nations
file to get rid of 1 or more nations.  Personally, I upped the # of
nations to 35 but it still fills up quickly with the peasant/army
revolts.

Good Luck...and happy gaming.
Name:	Bob Earl		Phone:	(202) 872-6018 (wk)
UUCP:	...!uunet!wash08!rae98
BITNET:	...rae98@CAS	(At least, that is what I'm told)

mcclaren@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Tim McClarren) (07/25/89)

Is Conquer available from somewhere via anon-ftp?  Thanks.

Tim McClarren
mcclaren@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu