[comp.sources.games.bugs] Conquer 4.3 mining

lkaplan@bbn.com (Larry Kaplan) (07/22/89)

I have noticed while running conquest that even after you find a gold mine
(say of diamonds), if your wealth then goes down below the threshold,
you can no longer see the gold rating.  This doesn't really make sense,
especially if you have redesignated the sector to be a gold mine while you can
see it.  Once you have redisignated the sector to a gold mine, its gold
resources should probably remain visible.

If the rational is that you need a certain wealth to find the resource, once
you find it you shouldn't lose it.  If the rational is that you need a certain
wealth to use the resource, once you start, you shouldn't lose the ability,
except maybe if the sector gets taken over from you.

It appears that you are still able to mine there, though, even though you can't
tell what you are mining.  Do you get the jewels?  I'm not sure.  The same
problem is probably true of metal mines.
				 ____ \ / ____
Laurence S. Kaplan		|    \ 0 /    |		BBN Advanced Computers
lkaplan@bbn.com			 \____|||____/		10 Fawcett St.
(617) 873-2431			  /__/ | \__\		Cambridge, MA  02238

adb@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Adam Bryant) (07/26/89)

In article <43118@bbn.COM> lkaplan@bbn.com (Larry Kaplan) writes:
>I have noticed while running conquest that even after you find a gold mine
>(say of diamonds), if your wealth then goes down below the threshold,
>you can no longer see the gold rating.  This doesn't really make sense,
>especially if you have redesignated the sector to be a gold mine while you can
>see it.  Once you have redisignated the sector to a gold mine, its gold
>resources should probably remain visible.

Some reasoning:
  It is not your ability to 'see' the metal that is in question.  It
is your ability to mine it.  In other words, you need to maintain a
certain technological level to support your ability to mine certain
levels of metals/jewels.

Some reasons for the reasoning:
  For now, the programming cost to maintain a 'history' of the sector
cannot be done without veering the program away from other
enhancements that are much more important.

  I may add history to the sector when I finally add the major/minor
designations to the game.  But, that will not be until release 5.0,
since it would result in the alteration of the data structure.  At the
least, a sector under seige marker will be added to the designations.

adam

--
Adam Bryant                             ARPA:  adb@bu-cs.bu.edu
Conquer Hack'n'Slasher                  BITNET: adb@buenga.bu.edu