[comp.sources.games.bugs] conquer army problems

dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) (07/24/89)

I have had problems where if I have 10 or so armies in one sector
(like in the beginning of the game) the "G" command will not allow
me to get to all of them. It simply skips the last few and restarts
at army zero. There is also a problem if a army group has a army
number less that the general's number. "G" allows you to select
the army (which it shouldn't) This allows a person to do a "MAG_ATT"
on the army when you normally can not. Speaking of this, how is this
supposed to work? Why can't you do a MAG_ATT on a general and if that's
not legal, there seems no way to do it on the army.

--

					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
					att!ihlpz!dalka

ben@rover.bsd.uchicago.edu (07/25/89)

In article <1950@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) writes...
.
"the army (which it shouldn't) This allows a person to do a "MAG_ATT"
"on the army when you normally can not. Speaking of this, how is this
"supposed to work? Why can't you do a MAG_ATT on a general and if that's

This sounds very odd to me indeed.  Some things you should know and check.
1. The "G" command takes you to the next "UNIT" no the next army.
   Here I define unit as a general and all armies grouped to that general.
   so if "those last few" are grouped to the leader (general) then they will
   be skipped because they move with the general. (although you can use the
    "p" command to select them individually and move them alone)

2. I've had a similar although not the same problem on the workstation here
    if my screen was 54,120 when I used the "G" command it would not select
    the appropriate unit (it would always default to the top general). But
    it happened so seldom it wasn't a bother.

3. In some types of combat my men get seperated from their general:
   This happens if I put the general into A mode (att/def) (all the men
   seperate and go into that mode also) or if you redesignate the army
   as att/def they seperate from the general. Another is when the leader gets
   killed. If this happens, if you seperate your men from thier leader then
   they can be majiked. Right now it seems that it is difficult to magic
    a leader because all the men under him would also need to be majiked
    so That code has not been implemented as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps a little

dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) (07/25/89)

Today I noticed another interesting thing. If you don't make a move
and then reexecute, the computer will move for you. AT first
I wasn't too pleased but then I noticed that I had a leader and
some zombies in my capitol that the computer joined up for me
into a group. This is something that the player cannot do.
Zombies won't join a leader.
--

					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
					att!ihlpz!dalka

boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) (07/26/89)

dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) writes:
>Today I noticed another interesting thing. If you don't make a move
>and then reexecute, the computer will move for you. AT first
>I wasn't too pleased but then I noticed that I had a leader and
>some zombies in my capitol that the computer joined up for me
>into a group. This is something that the player cannot do.
>Zombies won't join a leader.

I noticed this too, just yesterday.  Once I had ZOMBIE power, leaders
seemed pretty useless, until the computer moving for me joined the leader
to a zombie army.  Likewise, in regular play mode, you cannot disband a zombie
army, but the computer move disbanded a zombie militia army and reformed it
as a regular zombie army!

I would like to see both features available to players.

Art Boyne, boyne@hplvla.hp.com