[comp.sources.games.bugs] Minor problems in nethack 3.0

mike@turing.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (07/25/89)

1: If you set gcc to be your compiler, make sure you set
    -fwritable-strings in the CFLAGS macro.  It seems that makedefs
    and (probably) other things as well aren't *quite* ANSI standard. :-)

2: Gcc gives lots of
   warning: fooblat.c:nnn: non-const * set from const *
 warning.  I sure hope the writers were careful enough here, because
 gcc sticks constant data in the text segment...(fingers crossed).

Here I am at 1:30 AM waiting for it to compile.  I think I'll get some
sleep now.  Bye.

    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,
   mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu     /\   Thou canst not be false to any man.
 Telephone: +1 505 292 0001  /  \  Farewell:  my blessing season this in thee!

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (07/25/89)

mike@turing.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
>1: If you set gcc to be your compiler, make sure you set
>    -fwritable-strings in the CFLAGS macro.
>2: Gcc gives lots of
>   warning: fooblat.c:nnn: non-const * set from const *
> warning.

The first removes the problems with the second.  The warning in (2) is
usually suppressed (even with -Wall) because so many traditional C
programs don't use const in the ANSI way.  It only generates incorrect
code (common strings folded, all strings in read-only segments) if you
don't also have -fwritable-strings.  (OK, OK, not incorrect code, but
code which doesn't behave the way UNIX-cc-generated code behaves.)

Thanks for the tip.

rae98@wash08.UUCP (rae98) (07/27/89)

In article <3847@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> seebachp@thor.stolaf.edu (--SeebS--) writes:
>2] You might mention that we need to rename the Makefiles when we're done
>de-arcing.
Read the README file...........................

>3] Every .c and his brother finds some problem with a .h. Apparently almost
>none of them have received the definition of Bitfield, and it can't compile.
>Haven't gotten this one figured out yet. Do I need to rename something? Put
>#include "global.h" in all of the other files? What?
I had no such problem here!
It appears that all the 'C' code includes either config.h (which
includes global.h) or hack.h (which includes config.h, which...you get
the idea).
>Help, please!	--SeebS--

Hope this helps!

Name:	Bob Earl		Phone:	(202) 872-6018 (wk)
UUCP:	...!uunet!wash08!rae98
BITNET:	...rae98@CAS	(At least, that is what I'm told)