[comp.sources.games.bugs] Nethack 3.0 on a 3b2

heechee@anyguay.acm.rpi.edu (Stephen Underwood) (07/31/89)

I've been trying since the source came out to compile 3.0 on an att
3b2 runing sysv rel 3.1.  I've had to define STUPID, STUPID_CCP, and
-DDUMB, and now I have all the   source compiled and go to link I
get

ld fatal: fail to write symbol name resists_elec in string table for file
nethack.

I'm about readdy to though this machine out a window.  (I didn't have
near this much trouble on the Xenix 386 at work, or the sun 3/50)

-Stephen Underwood   -heechee@pawl.rpi.edu  -usere3v4@mts.rpi.edu

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (08/01/89)

Very simple solution, up your ulimit before the link and finish it as
root, or up your systme's ulimit and do it yourself.
--
Phil Paone
attmail!ppaone

mpl@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (michael.p.lindner) (08/02/89)

In article <6287@rpi.edu>, heechee@anyguay.acm.rpi.edu (Stephen Underwood) writes:
> ld fatal: fail to write symbol name resists_elec in string table for file
> nethack.
>
> -Stephen Underwood   -heechee@pawl.rpi.edu  -usere3v4@mts.rpi.edu

Save your window.  I compiled it without trouble on my 3B2 running 3.1.
All I defined was STUPID_CPP, to get around a space limitation in the
preprocessor.  I understand that that limitation's been fixed in the
next release of C.  Anyway, the only time I've seen an error like that,
it was because the compiler either ran out of temp file space, so the
write failed (see the man page on how to change where the temp files
are made), or because the ulimit was exceeded while writing the ourput
file or a temp file (see the man page on ulimits).  On my machine my
ulimit is 2048 (1 megabyte).

Lotsa Luck,
Mike Lindner
attunix!mpl
AT&T Bell Laboratories
190 River Rd.
Summit NJ 07901

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (Randy_Davis) (08/02/89)

In article <6287@rpi.edu> heechee@pawl.rpi.edu (Stephen Underwood) writes:
|I've been trying since the source came out to compile 3.0 on an att
|3b2 runing sysv rel 3.1.  I've had to define STUPID, STUPID_CCP, and
|-DDUMB, and now I have all the   source compiled and go to link I
|get
|[...]
|I'm about readdy to though this machine out a window.  (I didn't have
|near this much trouble on the Xenix 386 at work, or the sun 3/50)

  Though I am not real happy with the problems I have had compiling it
on a 3B2 (System V release 3.2.1), I fail to see how you can totally
blame the machine or the compiler - Remember it was written on a different
machine with its own quirks that the authors were able to fix for you.
As is noted in the documentation, the program has not even been tested
by the authors on a 3B2.

  Yeah, but I wouldn't mind having a little discussion with the compiler
writers for the 3B2 to find out exactly who is wrong...

Randy Davis			UUCP: ...(att!)ocrjd!randy, randy@ocrjd.att.com
				      ...(att!)occrsh!rjd,  rjd@occrsh.att.com