[comp.sources.games.bugs] More conquer4 bugs

boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) (07/17/89)

A couple of more strange conquer4 bugs:

BTW, I was playing solitaire, with NPC nations enabled.

1.  On several moves, I logged in as a neighboring NPC nation
    and directed the moves for that nation: moving its armies
    away from my nation, declaring war on another neighboring
    NPC nation, etc, (to give me some breathing room - cheating,
    I know).  After about 20 moves of doing this, strange things
    started to happen:

    1) the 2nd NPC nation got errors stating that it tried to
       move population to sectors it didn't own - may be related
       to the both nations taking sectors belonging to the other.

    2) *really* rich metal and gold mines started popping up -
       like values of 8 to 12 - all over the place, including
       in the middle of land I had owned from the beginning
       (or is this *supposed* to happen??).

    3) sectors that I owned began to be redesignated as churches,
       roads, etc.

2.  In god mode, I redesignated some sectors owned by the nomads
    as owned by my nation, then redesignated their trade goods as
    rich steel, mithral, and gold mines, the redesignated them as
    goldmines and mines.  When I then logged in as my nation,
    sure enough, they belonged to me and were goldmines/mines, but
    they had *no* metal/jewel value.  Back to god mode - which
    reported the rich values.  Something is strange here!

3.  In god mode, you can create new armies, but only of militia -
    why?

It's a great, but addicting, game!

Art Boyne, boyne@hplvla.hp.com

adb@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Adam Bryant) (07/20/89)

In article <1300005@hplvli.HP.COM> boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) writes:
>A couple of more strange conquer4 bugs:
>
>BTW, I was playing solitaire, with NPC nations enabled.
>
>1.  On several moves, I logged in as a neighboring NPC nation
>    and directed the moves for that nation: moving its armies
>    away from my nation, declaring war on another neighboring
>    NPC nation, etc, (to give me some breathing room - cheating,
>    I know).  After about 20 moves of doing this, strange things
>    started to happen:
>
>    1) the 2nd NPC nation got errors stating that it tried to
>       move population to sectors it didn't own - may be related
>       to the both nations taking sectors belonging to the other.

This bug deals with the land capturing methods... and usually
crops up with capturing land out from under people or capturing
land as a slaver.  I plan to remove land capture during movement
altogether and go in favor of a capture during update method.
This will make army movements and sector capturing integrate much
better between nations.

>    2) *really* rich metal and gold mines started popping up -
>       like values of 8 to 12 - all over the place, including
>       in the middle of land I had owned from the beginning
>       (or is this *supposed* to happen??).

This is "*supposed*" to happen.  Read the documentation section
on Designations.  There is a list of what metal types are visible
to your nation dependent on your mining ability value.

>    3) sectors that I owned began to be redesignated as churches,
>       roads, etc.

Did you ever skip a turn?  The computer moves for you if CMOVE is
set .... this is usually a symptom of that.

>2.  In god mode, I redesignated some sectors owned by the nomads
>    as owned by my nation, then redesignated their trade goods as
>    rich steel, mithral, and gold mines, the redesignated them as
>    goldmines and mines.  When I then logged in as my nation,
>    sure enough, they belonged to me and were goldmines/mines, but
>    they had *no* metal/jewel value.  Back to god mode - which
>    reported the rich values.  Something is strange here!

Same metal requirements situation as before....

>3.  In god mode, you can create new armies, but only of militia -
>    why?

Because there was a minimal emphasis placed on god mode.  I did
not give it the ability to change army types.  Militia just happens
to  be the default army type.  Try creating an army in a slot where
an army was destroyed, and you will receive an army of the same type
as the one which was destroyed.

>It's a great, but addicting, game!
>
>Art Boyne, boyne@hplvla.hp.com

Thanks....  but stop cheating.  :-)

adam
--
Adam Bryant                             ARPA:  adb@bu-cs.bu.edu
Conquer Hack'n'Slasher                  BITNET: adb@buenga.bu.edu

her3@tank.uchicago.edu (Ben 'Drew' Herman) (08/16/89)

In article <1300005@hplvli.HP.COM> boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) writes:
>A couple of more strange conquer4 bugs:
>
>    2) *really* rich metal and gold mines started popping up -
>       like values of 8 to 12 - all over the place, including
>       in the middle of land I had owned from the beginning
>       (or is this *supposed* to happen??).

This is suppose to happen.. ie. You have a percent chance of finding an item
granted that it exists in your land. So on turn one your 5% chance fails
but on turn two it succeeds. (ie you get lucky and find something)
Note: dwarves have a better chance of finding mines than others

>2.  In god mode, I redesignated some sectors owned by the nomads
>    as owned by my nation, then redesignated their trade goods as XXX
>    sure enough, they belonged to me and were goldmines/mines, but
>    they had *no* metal/jewel value.  Back to god mode - which
>    reported the rich values.  Something is strange here!

See above: Just because an item exists does not mean you have the ability to
find it. Finding it is of course a probability dependant on race and item.
just as there is a probability to depleat a mine.

>It's a great, but addicting, game!
Hear Hear!!!!

>Art Boyne, boyne@hplvla.hp.com

 Ben Herman