[comp.sources.games.bugs] Conqer password problems

rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley) (07/01/89)

In article <645@kl-cs.UUCP> jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:

>	Conquer seems to forget some passwprds.  If I add 3 people on
>to the game at startup time, the first person can't get in to the
>game.  Also the password for 'god' doesn't work.

The size of the password limit is rather low, this is causing the
program to run out of room for the password.

There is obviously some problem with the code that this causes a corrupt
password ( maybe the strncpy(passwd,getpass(...),PASSLTH) should have
PASSLTH-1?).

Anyway, the quickest fix seems to be to up the size of passwords to,
say, 20. More secure too, for those of a paranoid disposition.

Otherwise just use four or five letter passwords.

While we are at it, the size of leader and country names is a little
skimpy too ( 7 characters! ). Upping this to 20 as well might be an idea
then you can be Bobo the Mute ruling over Gaglopolonia.

Was the development done with machines of small memory size in mind?

--
rjc@uk.ac.ed.aipna		    Give me a beer and money sandwich,
				    Hold the bread.

--

elliott@bunker.UUCP (Elliott Kleinrock) (07/05/89)

In article <1056@aipna.ed.ac.uk> rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley) writes:
>In article <645@kl-cs.UUCP> jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
>
>While we are at it, the size of leader and country names is a little
>skimpy too ( 7 characters! ). Upping this to 20 as well might be an idea
>then you can be Bobo the Mute ruling over Gaglopolonia.
>
>Was the development done with machines of small memory size in mind?

I think that the 7 character limit was for the display (socre) screens.

	- Elliott

	elliott@clunker.uucp
	{philabs|yale|oliveb|decvax}!bunker!clunker!elliott

adb@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Adam Bryant) (08/08/89)

In article <1056@aipna.ed.ac.uk> rjc@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley) writes:
> size of the password limit is rather low, this is causing the
>program to run out of room for the password.

This is possible in places... but the biggest problem is that the
builtin function getpass() has an 8 character limit.  [Another reason
why I wish to implement my own password routine.]

>There is obviously some problem with the code that this causes a corrupt
>password ( maybe the strncpy(passwd,getpass(...),PASSLTH) should have
>PASSLTH-1?).

I tried some things with the first patch... that might do something
to fix it.  [But I doubt it.  I can't see where it really changed
anything.]

>Otherwise just use four or five letter passwords.

That does seem to avoid many problems.  [Also caused me not to
be able to notice the problem for months since that is the length
of the passwords I used *sigh*]

>While we are at it, the size of leader and country names is a little
>skimpy too ( 7 characters! ). Upping this to 20 as well might be an idea
>then you can be Bobo the Mute ruling over Gaglopolonia.

Might be able to do that... but it would not become official until
the next release.  [I do not want to change the data structure to
ruin ongoing campaigns.]

>Was the development done with machines of small memory size in mind?

The developement on my end was done on a rather unlimited system, but
Ed worked on a small computer.  [And also, future movement onto PCs
is planned.

adam

--
    Adam Bryant                     ||  ARPANET: adb@bu-it.bu.edu
    40 Chester Street  Apt. 9       ||  BITNET: adb@buenga

clay@uci.UUCP (News Administrator) (08/17/89)

I apologize for posting a bug question to comp.sources.d, instead of
comp.sources.games.bugs.

Anybody else have problems compiling newlogin.c in conquer after applying
patch V4.03?
--
Clayton Haapala                ...!mmm!dicome!uci!clay
Unified Communications Inc.