[comp.sources.games.bugs] NetHack 3.0 patch02 $PAGER bug

crehta@tasu77.UUCP (Ran Ever-Hadani) (08/21/89)

In the /bin/sh file used to exec nethack, the existence of a $PAGER
environment variable is checked.

It is assumed the $PAGER is a single word; in my case, however,
PAGER is set to 'less -sm'.  This causes the sh 'test -x' to scream.

A partial solution is enclosing every appearance of $PAGER in double
quotes.   But when $PATH is searched for $PAGER, the search will fail
and $PAGER will be unset.  I don't know how you can extract the 'less'
from 'less -sm' to solve that.  Any ideas?

-- Ran
Disclaimer: The above is to be attributed to me only, not to any organization.
Apology: Bad English.  E-mailed spelling and style corrections are welcome.

tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (08/22/89)

In article <2401@taux01.UUCP> crehta@taux01.nsc.com (Ran Ever-Hadani) writes:

[ ... ]

>A partial solution is enclosing every appearance of $PAGER in double
>quotes.   But when $PATH is searched for $PAGER, the search will fail
>and $PAGER will be unset.  I don't know how you can extract the 'less'
>from 'less -sm' to solve that.  Any ideas?

Sure.  RT*M page for less(1).  You can pass options to less with the
LESS enviroment variable.  So, in (for example) your .profile, put:

  LESS="-sm"
  export LESS

and change your PAGER to just "less".

Tim
--
Timothy Ramsey                               Kansas State University
BITNET:   tar@KSUVAX1              Dept. of Computing and Information Sciences