[comp.sources.games.bugs] NetHack on a Sequent?

djz@cbnews.ATT.COM (Danny Zerkel) (08/24/89)

In article <13294@well.UUCP> dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) writes:
>Has anyone been able to compile NetHack 3.0 on a Sequent?  I get the
>following error messages:
>dhawk well 6: /usr/games/nethack
>
>NetHack (gettty): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>NetHack (settty): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
>NetHack needs a screen of size at least 24 by 80.
>
>dhawk well 7:
>
>The Sequent uses Dynix, which is supposed to look like BSD.  The
>Sequent's /bin/cc choked on line 132 in src/spell.c so I recompiled
>with gcc.
>
>later, david
>--
>David Hawkins       {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
>dhawk@well.sf.ca.us    --   In this world it is not what we take up,
>but what we give up, that makes us rich.  -- Henry Ward Beecher

I'd give the NetHack developers points for trying real hard here, but
take them down a notch or two for using "to be implemented" features.

I had the same problem on AT&T SVR3.2.1 on a 3B2/600.  The ioctl
TIOCGWINSZ is defined, but only works on streams devices, of which I
have none.  Line 29 of ioctl.c reads:

#ifdef TIOCGWINSZ

I changed this to:

#if defined(TIOCGWINSZ) && !defined(SYSV)

I'm sure that come SVR4 TIOCGWINSZ will work like a champ...

Danny J. Zerkel | Columbus, OH the 185th best city to live in, and
AT&T Bell Labs  | sinking fast...(down 50 from last year!)