[comp.sources.games.bugs] Nethack patches, 2nd set

flaig@Apple.COM (Charles Flaig) (08/23/89)

In the 2nd set of Nethack patches, there are lines added to the Makefile that
look like:

    sed -e 's;/usr/games/lib/hackdir;$(GAMEDIR);' \

Now, pardon me for mildly flaming, since this is a wonderful game, and I really
appreciate the work that goes into it, but what the **** is an absolute path
doing in the middle of the Makefile without being assigned to a commented
variable, like GAMEDIR is???

Now, you can call me stupid, but I don't have the slightest idea how to use
sed, and I don't know what it is supposed to do with this path, and what the
path should actually be on my system, since of course I don't *have* the
directory /usr/games/lib/hackdir!  I've changed them all to other things....
(I think this is the same one called "GAMEDIR", but then why wasn't this used?)

Please!  What do I do with this monster???

--Charles
  flaig@apple.com
(Also known as a poor confused user, playing at being a system manager.)

tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (08/23/89)

In article <3787@internal.Apple.COM> flaig@apple.com (Charles Flaig) writes:
>In the 2nd set of Nethack patches, there are lines added to the Makefile that
>look like:

>    sed -e 's;/usr/games/lib/hackdir;$(GAMEDIR);' \

>Now, pardon me for mildly flaming, since this is a wonderful game, and I really
>appreciate the work that goes into it, but what the **** is an absolute path
>doing in the middle of the Makefile without being assigned to a commented
>variable, like GAMEDIR is???

This sed command replaces all instances of "/usr/games/lib/hackdir" with
whatever you have defined GAMEDIR to be.  What it all boils down to is this
is how the nethack.sh script is tailored to your system.

>Now, you can call me stupid,

:-)  Naw, I'll pass.

[ ... ]

Tim
--
Timothy Ramsey                               Kansas State University
BITNET:   tar@KSUVAX1              Dept. of Computing and Information Sciences

sherman@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/25/89)

It looks to me like this line changes any occurances (in whatever is
being fed into this line) of "/usr/games/lib/hackdir" into "$(GAMEDIR)".
So, any hard coded directories are being removed from whatever this
is being applied to.

/* Bill Sherman			ARPA:	sherman@cs.uiuc.edu		*/
/* Aviation Research Lab	DOMAIN:	??				*/
/* University of Illinois	UUCP:	??				*/
/* Champaign-Urbana							*/
/* 	"You want to do mankind a real service?  Tell funnier jokes."	*/