[comp.sources.games.bugs] Problem with alock files

sharp@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (09/01/89)

Hiya,

     I have a problem with nethack killing players by trickery.  The player is
informed that a file alock.# (where # is some number) has been removed.  I am
not sure how the file is removed, since there are no daemons running on the
network that delete files.

     Has anyone else encountered and solved this problem ?  I am running
nethack with patch levels one and 2 installed.  The platform is Apollo
DN45000 machines with OS 10.1.  The game is su'd to a games account.

  	Thanx in Advance
	   maurice

Maurice Sharp
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.			      sharp@ksi.cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	                   ...!alberta!calgary!sharp

news@telenet.telenet.com (News) (09/12/89)

In article <1775@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP>, sharp@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) writes:
> Hiya,
>
>      I have a problem with nethack killing players by trickery.  The player is
> informed that a file alock.# (where # is some number) has been removed.  I am
> not sure how the file is removed, since there are no daemons running on the
> network that delete files.

	Here, the problem was with the MAXNROFPLAYERS flag which is set
        in the shell script file nethack in the public executable directory.
        If MAX_NR_OF_PLAYERS is not defined when the code is compiled,
        setting this option by the script causes the lock files to be
        misnamed and clobbered by multiple people executing the program
        at the same time.  Set MAXNROFPLAYERS to zero and the lock
        files will be named correctly, and no more "trickery."

        Dave Purks
        ..!uunet!telenet!dkpurks