[comp.sources.games.bugs] nethack 3.0 PL 3 on SCO 286 2.2.3

jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (09/16/89)

On SCO Xenix 286 v2.2.3 (2.2.1 development system) Nethack 3.0 patchlevel 3
has only one evident problem: anything thrown or kicked leaves a trail
of messed up characters behind it on the screen, and the user needs
to hit ^R to clean things up.
Anyone else seen this and maybe fixed it?
I am using termcap for default, not terminfo.
Thanks...
-Jay Libove
libove@libove.UUCP = root@libove.pgh.pa.us
libove@cs.cmu.edu = jl42@andrew.cmu.edu

jtc@tessera suggested:

>Recompile with terminfo and everything will work fine.

*sigh* I'm the fool - I _did_ compile with terminfo the first time,
but had forgotten about that fact....

Any further suggestions world?

Thanks...
-Jay Libove
gateway.sei.cmu.edu!libove!root = root@libove.pgh.pa.us

In article <YZ4QlhO00huW07Hksu@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>I said before:
>>On SCO Xenix 286 v2.2.3 (2.2.1 development system) Nethack 3.0 patchlevel 3
>>has only one evident problem: anything thrown or kicked leaves a trail
>>of messed up characters behind it on the screen, and the user needs
>>to hit ^R to clean things up.
>
>jtc@tessera suggested:
>
>>Recompile with terminfo and everything will work fine.
>
>*sigh* I'm the fool - I _did_ compile with terminfo the first time,
>but had forgotten about that fact....

Make sure you link with "-lcurses -lx".  We had this problem until we made
that single change.

Now all is well.

We're running 2.3.2.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (09/21/89)

I had complained of trash left on my screen when things were
thrown in Nethack 3.0 PL 1, 2, 3; still happens after all
attempted fixes, so I removed the wait loop on thrown items
and replaced it with a no-op, and now things aren't seen
in the throw phase (go by too fast, even on my PC/AT :} )
but I don't have to hit ^R very often.

Also, flex, plus casting to (int) the yylength macro, got
the auxil/ files to build properly with the lev_comp program;
something must be busted (or 32 bit int assumed...) in SCO's
lex or the nethack sources...

Thanks to all...
-Jay Libove
libove@andrew.cmu.edu
uunet!gateway.sei.cmu.edu!libove!root (usenet)
libove@drycas (bitnet)