[comp.sources.games.bugs] Conquer 4.8 bugs

cosc7m5@uhnix1.uh.edu (Phantom of UHouston) (02/13/90)

Morn world,
  I have a problem.  It seems that when ever any of my players use the
(P)roduction option, they get a core dump and rudly kicked out of the games.
I do have one player who can use it without any problems.  Does anyone have
any ideas?  Let me know, or post if it is a big thing.  Thanks!

--
Thank you for your support,  | "The love you get is equal to the love you give."
Duck                         | "I'm really not like this, I'm really shy...

wkwok@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (William Kwok) (02/14/90)

In article <22348@uhnix1.uh.edu> cosc7m5@uhnix1.uh.edu (Phantom of UHouston) writes:

>Morn world,
>  I have a problem.  It seems that when ever any of my players use the
>(P)roduction option, they get a core dump and rudly kicked out of the games.
>I do have one player who can use it without any problems.  Does anyone have
>any ideas?  Let me know, or post if it is a big thing.  Thanks!

This has happened to me on several occasions while accessing the
(T)rade screen.  When I attempt to re-enter conquer, a message informs
me that my nation is already logged in.

While I'm at it, I remember exploiting a bug in the older versions of
conquer.  I haven't tried it recently so I don't know if the recent patches
have fixed the problem.  Here's what I did:  In a city sector with N
civilians, I attempted to move M civilians to an adjacent sector, with M
greater than N.  A warning message informs me what I'm about to do is
impossible but it appears I'm allowed to do it anyway.  The number of
civilians in the city is now a negative number!  I thought, "Hmm, maybe
the program will treat the negative number as an unsigned number."
Sure enough, I noticed my gold production in that sector increased
dramatically after update.

William Kwok
wkwok@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu | wiliki!wkwok@uunet.uu.net