[comp.sources.games.bugs] new Castle error

h44394@leah.Albany.Edu (Michael R. Hoffman) (02/27/90)

Hi there.  This bug may have already come up, but since our administrator
does weekly deletions, it was wiped before I read it.  The problem is in
"store.c" at line 227:
	char word[];
The error ihas to do with "null space declaration".

It seems that with 4.3BSD UNIX running non-ANSI C, this declaration must either
contain an initialization value (i.e.- char word[]="*******") or a size value
(i.e.- char word[*]).

I tried using "char word[6]" after looking at the code, but now it won't accept
the passwords for the stores.  I just keep getting "too bad."

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

					Mike Hoffman
reply-to:  h44394@leah.albany.edu

tamela@tahoe.unr.edu (Tamela R. Germano) (03/02/90)

In article <2616@leah.Albany.Edu> h44394@leah.Albany.Edu (Michael R. Hoffman) writes:
>does weekly deletions, it was wiped before I read it.  The problem is in
>"store.c" at line 227:
>	char word[];
>The error ihas to do with "null space declaration".
>
>It seems that with 4.3BSD UNIX running non-ANSI C, this declaration must either
>contain an initialization value (i.e.- char word[]="*******") or a size value
>(i.e.- char word[*]).
>
>I tried using "char word[6]" after looking at the code, but now it won't accept
>the passwords for the stores.  I just keep getting "too bad."

In store.c there is a function ask_ques(q), it's string compares are
messed up.  Replace:

                if((strcmp(word,"death")) == 10){

with:
                if (!strcmp(string,"death\n")){

Do similarly for the other two questions.

Also, I replaced char word[] with char *word instead of giving it a size.

              ___                  _
             /  /                 //
             --/ __   ______  _  // __
            (_/ (_/|_/ / / <_</_</_(_/|_

tamela@tahoe.unr.edu (Tamela R. Germano) (03/02/90)

In article <2616@leah.Albany.Edu> h44394@leah.Albany.Edu (Michael R. Hoffman) writes:
>does weekly deletions, it was wiped before I read it.  The problem is in
>"store.c" at line 227:
>	char word[];
>The error ihas to do with "null space declaration".
>
>It seems that with 4.3BSD UNIX running non-ANSI C, this declaration must either
>contain an initialization value (i.e.- char word[]="*******") or a size value
>(i.e.- char word[*]).

In store.c there is a function ask_ques(q), it's string compares are
messed up.  Replace:

                if((strcmp(word,"death")) == 10){

with:
                if (!strcmp(string,"death\n")){

Do similarly for the other two questions.

Also, I replaced  char word[]  with  char *word  instead of bothering with
a specific size.