[comp.sources.games.bugs] NetHack 3.0 problems

shevett@mccc.uucp (Dave Shevett) (04/10/90)

Oh Woe is me!!!!

Machine: Joe '386 Xenix 2.3.1
Rev ---: NetHack 3.0pl6 (or 7 - can't remember - does it matter?)

I have Nethack up and running on 2 Xenix systems right now.  So far I've
brought 3 of my co-workers into the abyss with me and we're all addicted
(I've been for some time) - BUT, the kicker - SOmetimes, during normal game
play and at no 'standard' spot, nethack will core dump.  Is there any
'quick and dirty' thing to stop this from happening?  Or should I bide my
time 'til pl8 is ready?

/--------------------+                        +----------------------\
|    Dave Shevett    | "The shortest distance |   Labyrinth II BBS   |
|   W. Trenton, NJ   | between two puns is a  |    (609) 883-9352    |
| shevett@labii.UUCP | straight line..."      | on my lil' ol UnixPC |
\--------------------+        - Doc Webster   +----------------------/

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy) (04/15/90)

In article <1990Apr10.001233.1080@mccc.uucp> shevett@labii.UUCP (Dave Shevett)
bemoans:

>Rev ---: NetHack 3.0pl6 (or 7 - can't remember - does it matter?)

(Yes, it does)

>I have Nethack up and running on 2 Xenix systems right now.  So far I've
>brought 3 of my co-workers into the abyss with me and we're all addicted
>(I've been for some time) - BUT, the kicker
                                      ^^^^^^
(Ironic choice of words)

>- SOmetimes, during normal game
>play and at no 'standard' spot, nethack will core dump.  Is there any
>'quick and dirty' thing to stop this from happening?  Or should I bide my
>time 'til pl8 is ready?

Someone else already responded with advice on how to stop it actually creating
a core file. But I take your question to be "are there any workarounds to keep
the game from crashing". If you are a good boy, and have your game at PL7, I
just posted an article in rec.games.hack listing workarounds for the 2 known
bugs in PL7 that cause crashes. This is not to say that there might not be
more, and there could be a system dependency here, but they might help.

I should have cross-posted, but here is a copy anyway.

From: kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy)
Newsgroups: rec.games.hack
Subject: Miscellaneous
Date: 14 Apr 90 17:32:13 GMT

Just for the record:

NetHack crashes when I #loot a chest and I'm near carrying capacity.

Fixed in PL8.

Workaround: For now, just take one item at a time out of the chest. I.e.

NetHack crashes sometimes when I kick a wall/throne/drawbridge (anything that's
not an object or monster)

Fixed in PL8.

Workaround: The problem occurs when the last object you kicked disappears (food
	    rots, gets eaten etc.). So after kicking an object that could
	    disappear, kick another that won't (for example, keep a worthless
  	    black knife to kick around, and keep putting it back into your
	    inventory).

With a very recent breakthrough, PL8 is starting to look even closer than it
did a couple of days ago.

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com 		    | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...[mailrus!]sharkey!cfctech!kevin  | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 948-4863 		    | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 948-4975 		    | 27777 Franklin, Southfield, MI 48034