[comp.sources.games.bugs] Forgery Alert

MICPRF@latvax8.lat.oz (07/24/90)

In article <5976@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM>, billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) writes:
> The following article recently appeared in both comp.sources.games
> and talk.bizarre:

>> From: billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM (Bill Randle)
>> Newsgroups: comp.sources.games,talk.bizarre
>> Subject: nethack 4.0
>> Date: 14 Jul 90 18:11:07 GMT
>> Sender: billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM
>>
>> NetHack 4.0 will be ready for beta testing in a few weeks.  In
>> addition to multi-player scenarios a fully POSIX compliant operating
>> system will be incorporated into the release.
>>
>> This should bring the package up to only 60 parts.
>>
>> Pax
>
> It is a clever forgery, which I don't appreciate at all.  I wouldn't
> have minded as much if the poster had limited his remarks to the
> talk.bizarre newsgroup (which I don't read anyway), but I strongly
> object to him/her adding the Approved: header line and cross posting
> to comp.sources.games.
>
> If someone has an objection to a posting then feel free to comment
> on it or send me mail but please don't post articels directly to
> moderated newsgroups.
>
> As to the recent NetHack posting, I did query for comments before I
> posted and received mail from many people asking that the fully
> patched source be posted and not a single objection (to my recollection).
> Even though the posting was rather large, overall it will save
> bandwidth on all networks as getting the original source plus all
> nine sets of patches from an archive site would be a lot of bytes!
> Also, it's not as if there is lots of other stuff queued up to send
> out - there's only one other submission in the queue.
>

> 	-Bill Randle
> 	Moderator, comp.sources.games
> 	Tektronix, Inc.
> 	billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM
>
> P.S. In case someone gets the wrong impression, I don't mind at all
> the contents of the article (i.e. poking fun at NetHack 4.0) - I
> just object to the author not putting his/her name on it.

In fact, since not everyone has ready access to ftp - I for one -
I appreciate Bill having posted the full source a great deal.
If it's big that's because it is highly developed - and it is being posted
over several days. No problem I'm a patient soul. Thanks Bill.
				Paul Fisher (micprf@latvax8.lat.oz.au)