[comp.sources.games.bugs] other hunts around?

lgames@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/20/90)

Has anyone ever played other versions of hunt?
hunt is a unix game found in the comp.sources.games archives everywhere.

There are rumors of arena-hunt and mega-hunt abound, but I don't know
where to ftp the sources from.

Anybody know if these rumors are true?

alan@uh.msc.umn.edu (Alan Klietz) (07/25/90)

In article <112400003@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> lgames@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
<
<There are rumors of arena-hunt and mega-hunt abound, but I don't know
<where to ftp the sources from.
<
<Anybody know if these rumors are true?

Megahunt is real.  It is available via anonymous ftp to jacobs.cs.orst.edu,
in the directory /pub/megahunt.

Enclosed is the only documentation extant :-).

From: aklietz@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Alan Klietz)
To: hunters@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu
Subject: MegaHunt

I remember trying to avoid finals back in my undergrad days.   One of
those days (weeks?) I decided to hack Hunt version 1 into something
a bit more interesting.  The result was MegaHunt.

	Added the blob (b) (cost 10) and Big Blob (B) (cost 30).  The blob was
	a slow permanent slime (speed=1).  Walking through it caused 1 point
	of damage per step.  It could be blasted away.  The blob blocks shots,
	so it is defensive.  The blob follows you as you walk through it.

	Added the Nuke (A) (cost 500 shots)

	Added super slime (0) (cost 120 shots)

	Doubled the number of initial mines.  Picking up a mine resulted
	in -10 damage points and +40 shots.  Players can accumulate negative
	damage points.  It was awesome watching players accumulate -100 damage
	points and then throw nukes at each other and survive.

	Added the Human Volcano (V) (cost 300).   This is a suicide command,
	but effective.

	Changed the check() subroutine into an inline macro - resulted
	in a 25% speedup.

	Increased MAXREMOVE from 40 to 80, because the nukes were taking
	out such a huge area that the rebuilds caused excessive teleports.

I still have the source to Megahunt available if you want it.  Note that
it is a modified copy of version 1 Hunt.  You need 9600 baud (preferrably
19600 baud +) to really appreciate it.

-Alan Klietz
-aklietz@ncsa.uiuc.edu