[comp.sources.games.bugs] xconq 5.3 - missing the right map files?

minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,x640,7776519) (08/11/90)

In article <TALVOLA.90Aug7120259@janus.Berkeley.EDU> talvola@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Erik Talvola) writes:

>   In src/games on scam.berkeley.edu, there is a version of Xconq,
>xconq5.3.tar.Z, which runs fine under X11.  Have fun!

That's well and good, but there are some problems with that distribution:

the man directory is missing. No documentation! :(

xconq 5.3 changed the format of the .map files.  However, this distribution
of xconq still has the old map files, which consequently do not work.
(there's also a weird tar file in the distribution called xconq5.3 which
 seems to be maps, but they are merely copies of the old ones. Its a
 broken tar, too)

Does anyone have a complete, working distribution of xconq 5.3?

For those of you who are taking notes, we have a few nifty patches to xconq
that aren't quite done yet. 5.3 seems to have a bug that won't let you click
on icons to choose the production for a city, which we fixed. We've also
changed it so that units that are being carried cannot produce other units
(like loading an infantry onto a bomber, have it start producing a base, send
the bomber off, and land on the base your infantry is building..) And, there
is something in xconq 5.3 that prevents units from attacking each other if
their chance is less than 10%. Why this is, I do not know, but we've changed
it back..

amanda@iesd.auc.dk (Per Abrahamsen) (08/11/90)

A ex-student here converted some of the map files and scenarios to 5.3
format. Send mail if you want me to make a tar file of the converted
files available for anonymous ftp.

amanda@iesd.auc.dk (Per Abrahamsen) (08/12/90)

Per> A ex-student here converted some of the map files and scenarios to 5.3
Per> format. Send mail if you want me to make a tar file of the converted
Per> files available for anonymous ftp.

They are available from iesd.auc.dk (130.225.48.4) in the file
"pub/xconq-map.shar.Z".

As an extra bonus, you get a completly new map showing denmark.

peter@hari.VIEWlogic.com (Peter Colby) (08/15/90)

In article <15329@reed.UUCP>, minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson
Minar,L08,x640,7776519) writes:
|> In article <TALVOLA.90Aug7120259@janus.Berkeley.EDU>
talvola@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Erik Talvola) writes:

|> >   In src/games on scam.berkeley.edu, there is a version of Xconq,
|> >xconq5.3.tar.Z, which runs fine under X11.  Have fun!
|>
|> That's well and good, but there are some problems with that distribution:
|>
|> the man directory is missing. No documentation! :(
|>
|> xconq 5.3 changed the format of the .map files.  However, this distribution
|> of xconq still has the old map files, which consequently do not work.
|> (there's also a weird tar file in the distribution called xconq5.3 which
|>  seems to be maps, but they are merely copies of the old ones. Its a
|>  broken tar, too)
|>
|> Does anyone have a complete, working distribution of xconq 5.3?
|>
|> For those of you who are taking notes, we have a few nifty patches to xconq
|> that aren't quite done yet. 5.3 seems to have a bug that won't let you click
|> on icons to choose the production for a city, which we fixed. We've also
|> changed it so that units that are being carried cannot produce other units
|> (like loading an infantry onto a bomber, have it start producing a
base, send
|> the bomber off, and land on the base your infantry is building..) And, there
|> is something in xconq 5.3 that prevents units from attacking each other if
|> their chance is less than 10%. Why this is, I do not know, but we've changed
|> it back..

Does this mean you have the source to xconq5.3?

I have been unable to ftp a complete copy from scam.berkeley.edu. It gets about
halfway and dies. However, perusing the half that I can get, I noticed that
it seems to include the complete library followed by a 400K file called
xconq5.3... This doesn't sound like source to me.

I had also heard rumors that a copy was to be found at Stan Shebs old school
(cs.utah.edu) but I couldn't find anything there either.

Suffice it to say, I would sell my .... for a good ftpable source copy of
xconq 5.3 or later!!!

By the way, I did ftp the modified maps from Denmark and they look OK (insofar
as I don't know what the new format is supposed to be like.

        PeterC
        peter@viewlogic.com

(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
(O) !the doctor is out! (O)
(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)

minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,x640,7776519) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.202517.12939@viewlogic.com> peter@hari.VIEWlogic.com (Peter Colby) writes:

>Does this mean you have the source to xconq5.3?
yes.

>I have been unable to ftp a complete copy from scam.berkeley.edu. It gets about
>halfway and dies. However, perusing the half that I can get, I noticed that
>it seems to include the complete library followed by a 400K file called
>xconq5.3... This doesn't sound like source to me.
Can't help you with flaky ftp. We had no troubles, but thats another story..
The distribution itself is broken.  It includes:
the source code (yay!)
the old map files (useless)
the old library stuff - bitmaps, periods, scenarios (still useful)
a tar file called xconq5.3, which is yet ANOTHER copy of the old libraries. It
  is broken, and should not be there anyway..

What it is missing is the documentation.

>I had also heard rumors that a copy was to be found at Stan Shebs old school
>(cs.utah.edu) but I couldn't find anything there either.
Does Shebs no longer exist at cs.utah.edu? That would explain why I never got a
reply on my letter. Is he reachable?

>By the way, I did ftp the modified maps from Denmark and they look OK (insofar
>as I don't know what the new format is supposed to be like.
They work fine. The only thing is missing is utah.map, and that is hardly a
great loss..

daybell@sal-sun9.usc.edu (Donald Daybell) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.202517.12939@viewlogic.com> peter@hari.VIEWlogic.com (Peter Colby) writes:

>Suffice it to say, I would sell my .... for a good ftpable source copy of
>xconq 5.3 or later!!!

>        PeterC
>        peter@viewlogic.com
>
>(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
>(O) !the doctor is out! (O)
>(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)

Me, too!!  I cannot even get scam to admit to my existance!!  This is the only
archive site I've had this problem with.  Is there ANY other site I can get
Xconq 5.3 from???  Please??

bumper sticker seen on stealth bomber:

"IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THEN WE WASTED 50 BILLION BUCKS."

Donald Daybell		daybell@usc.edu

amanda@iesd.auc.dk (Per Abrahamsen) (08/15/90)

Ok, I have made the complete xconq 5.3 available for anonymous ftp
from iesd.auc.dk (130.225.48.4) in the file pub/xconq/xconq-dk.tar.Z

It is not the pure 5.3 release, we have made some few changes locally,
and applied some unofficiel patches from Net.