[comp.sources.games.bugs] How do I set up the GB server?

daye@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Garion) (08/20/90)

Well, last night I finally fixed all the log1p problems and compiled everything.
Somewhere in one of the readme's it says to invoke the server with
GB_server <port_no>.  I do so.  It says 'Galactic bloodshed x2.1.1..blah blah'.
It then says 'blah blah' is the update password.  Then it just sits there.  If
I ^C out of it, I can't use the client to call in.  So what am I doing wrong?
Do I need to define the host too?
After I set up the server, do I need to invoke the daemon also?

Thanks.....
|  Internet-----           | Quote of the Month: AUGUST                        |
|__daye@nyssa.cs.orst.edu__|  "What weighs 95 tons, can run almost 100 km/h    |
| Battletech Technical -----> can jump 120 m, and carries a gauss cannon?"     |
|   Readout:  3050     -----> "I don't know, but I'm getting out of here!"     |

svedberg@cs.umn.edu (Eric J. Svedberg) (08/23/90)

daye@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Garion) writes:

>Well, last night I finally fixed all the log1p problems and compiled everything.
>Somewhere in one of the readme's it says to invoke the server with
>GB_server <port_no>.  I do so.  It says 'Galactic bloodshed x2.1.1..blah blah'.
>It then says 'blah blah' is the update password.  Then it just sits there.  If
>I ^C out of it, I can't use the client to call in.  So what am I doing wrong?
>Do I need to define the host too?
>After I set up the server, do I need to invoke the daemon also?

   You need to put the server in the background.  Just add an '&' at the end of your GB_server <port>
line.  Or you could do a Control-Z instead of a Control-C and then type 'bg' at the prompt.  This
will put the server in the background just as if you typed an '&' at the end of the invoking line.

eric
--
Eric J. Svedberg - University of Minnesota Computer Science System Staff
svedberg@cs.umn.edu - !rutgers!umn-cs!svedberg