[comp.sources.games.bugs] xconq 5.x

warkent@ltisun.epfl.ch (Ken Warkentyne) (08/23/90)

In article <9835@goofy.Apple.COM>, shebs@Apple.COM (Stan Shebs) writes:
> (Geez, I go on my honeymoon for two weeks and come back to doubts about my
> existence!)
Of course a mail message from "shebs@Apple.COM" may not convince some of
the net.sceptics out there. :-)

The EPFL has its own adaption of xconq that is the same as 5.1 except for
parallel play and some minor fixes/improvements not related to the play
(credit mostly to Alain Brossard).

I have played the 5.3 from scram.berkely.edu and have mixed feelings
about it.  The parallel play is nice but not as nice as ours (IMO).
Some of the new commands are very useful (in particular the new embark).
However, there are several small changes that I don't really care for:
In particular there are no more plural names (e.g. "The XXX side" instead
of "The XXX's);  the changed period file format; the lack of a "center"
command (essential in parallel play when you need to give priority to
a particular theatre of operation); the dynamic malloc's and a few other
things.

If we are going to have a 5.4, I think that we should start from the
basis of 5.1 (official Stan Shebs version).  Perhaps we could discuss
what changes/improvements have been made in other versions and come to
a concensus on what should be kept in 5.4.

For those who want to try it out, I have made our version available
for anonymous ftp on our machine ltisun.epfl.ch (128.178.38.6).
The library is not included in the distribution so you will have to
get it from another source.

Ken Warkentyne