[comp.sources.games.bugs] Galactic Bloodshed

odlin@reed.UUCP (Iain Odlin) (05/06/89)

*** IMPORTANT NOTE: I HAVE POSTED THIS FOR smq@ssyx.ucsc.edu, DO NOT REPLY ***
*** Instead, mail to him.  Thank you.  Unless you want to talk to me!  :-) ***
*** ANOTHER NOTE: I have slightly cleaned up the message to make it easier ***
        *** to read.  No damage or misrepresentation was intended. ***

*** INCLUDED MESSAGE

since I cant seem to post to this newsgroup,
I will mail this less-than-informative reply to some of the people who posted
to comp.sources.games recently.  Hopefully _one_ of these nice people would
be kind enough to post this author's reply:

>From: odlin@reed.UUCP (Iain Odlin)
> (various compiler problems deleted)
> -The load command now displays the wrong numbers when you use the ? option.

I will look into this.

>  -The game starts you out with zero population now.  "Boy, what a growth
>  vector!"

well, gee.  the sector it gives you as a starting point has the right
population; the population listed on the planet is updated every turn, and
when you first enroll it hasnt done a turn on that planet yet.  This
corrects itself next turn.

> -The help command now locks the game up some of the time with a "sh -c"

I have no idea what this is doing.

> How would one use the unpatched version of land.c for landing and
> use the patched version for docking?
>
> To explain:  the old version of land.c worked fine for landing on planets.
> It simply didn't have the docking section completed.  However, once the
> patch was installed, the ships stopped being able to land on planets but
> they could dock with each other.  Hell, they can dock with themselves!

I have fixed all this (I hope.)  the new version was put in the usual place
(anonymous ftp to ssyx.ucsc.edu [128.114.133.1]) the night before last.

In article <12624@reed.UUCP> odlin@reed.UUCP (Iain Odlin) writes:
>  -The file order.c now contains two lines which cause the compiler to choke
>   on the ASCII value of a null character.

> The null character turned out to be a machine dependent idea of what the
> octal value of the ESC key was.  Just put \033 (for ESC) between the
> quotes and you're set.  (Actually, I used \041, which is the '!' key!)

I will put this in..

>  -Every command which depends on rst.c no longer works.

> This, upon further mucking with, turns out not to be the case.  They just
> don't work in both the way they used to and the way the docs say they do
> anymore.  You *MUST* be 'cs'ed into the ship's scope for the commands to
> work.  This is certainly a "fix" I don't care much for...

  they all work fine for me.  when youre on a star scope and use report tactical
  stock ship or object, it should include all the ships in orbit around that
  star + each planet.  If from the top scope, it should report on all ships
  you own everywhere.  Tactical does some neat things now.  I dont know what
  version you are complaining about, but it works for me.  again,try getting the
  new version..

> BTW, the power command displays an inaccurate value for population.
> That, and there is no documentation for the power command.

 Come on, are Docs *REALLY* *THAT* important???

>From: brazil@pawl.rpi.edu

>What I want to know is, why does my original version of GB, which I compiled
>on a Sun 3/50 with SunOS 4.0.1 under BSD 4.3, I've had none of the problems
>you all are having. :)

  guess what machine this game was developed on.
  The only other machine I've made it on, is a PDP-11 (ucscb) running a tweaked
  version of 4.2.  Any other machines have to take their chances, as I dont have
  access to them and therefore dont know what doesnt work on them.

>From: mike@cs.keele.ac.uk (Michael A. Green)

> In article <4968@bunker.UUCP> elliott@clunker.UUCP (Elliott Kleinrock) writes:
>>While making GB I  got:
>>
>>cc -DVER_4.3 -pipe -g -c makeplanet.c
>>"makeplanet.c", line 289: compiler error: expression causes compiler loop: try simplifying
>>*** Exit 1
>>

>Just a few comments.  I tried making GB under Ultrix 2.2. After getting many
>errors I finally cludged the header files to remove the size limitations on
>the structure components, ie changed all the 1..17 bit ones to int. This
>will get rid of any segmentation violation errors you have. It compiled after
>that, right up to this loop. I cannot remember what I changed but it went away.

YUCK.  And to think I thought I was saving all this space by using bit
fields, only to cause dumb compiler errors.  Please tell me just what you
did here, and perhaps I can come up with something that works for the
standard machine (though, I had thought bitfields WERE standard C; guess I
was wrong.)

>On of my major gripes is the way that things like the data files are defined
>in a .h file... and then used with explicit paths in half the files!!.

  huh?  I dont know what the problem here is.. if youre porting it to another
  machine, dont you have to remake all the files anyway?  If there is something
  I'm not getting here mail me and I can easily make the filenames into an
  indexed array or something.

>There is also a bug in the planet.list file... it creates a universe with 3
>systems... not 30 as per the README... it is simple to fix.

  it's just sortof a sample... I tend to use it all the time for testing.
  sorry.

>It looks promising but is too "young" to play yet. Post it again when it is
>finished and a lot more people might play it.

  ah, but Empire was young too once, was it not?

  It seems to me that most of the problems everyone is having come from
  temperamental compilers and such.  As I have said I dont know an easy way to
  fix this up except by relying on various enthusiasts trying their hands
  at putting up GB.  Rest assured I am working on all (most) of the bugs
  that I know about, and unless I get a social life or something real soon,
  I will be fixing them up to the best of my abilities.

  Thanks for all your comments, and I am keeping my eye on
comp.sources.games.bugs and will be responding (probably in this same manner).

- Robert Chansky
  smq@ssyx.ucsc.edu
  ..!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!smq
--
----------------------------------Iain Odlin----------------------------------
                  Box 1014, Reed College, Portland OR, 97202

In article <12663@reed.UUCP> smq@ssyx.ucsc.edu writes:
>>  -The game starts you out with zero population now.  "Boy, what a growth
>>  vector!"
>
>well, gee.  the sector it gives you as a starting point has the right
>population; the population listed on the planet is updated every turn, and
>when you first enroll it hasnt done a turn on that planet yet.  This
>corrects itself next turn.

  If this were the case, I wouldn't have posted the problem.  It only corrects
  itself part of the time.  Usually, when the fourth player joins, the poor
  game never figures out what his maxpopn is and dumps a core when it needs
  to use that variable as a divisor.

>> -The help command now locks the game up some of the time with a "sh -c"
>
>I have no idea what this is doing.

  I just had my TERM variable set to vt100 while using a rainbow.  It was
  my problem, not a problem with the game.

>> BTW, the power command displays an inaccurate value for population.
>> That, and there is no documentation for the power command.
>
> Come on, are Docs *REALLY* *THAT* important???

  When they are the only way to figure out how to play the bloody game, YES;
  They are really that important.

--
----------------------------------Iain Odlin----------------------------------
                  Box 1014, Reed College, Portland OR, 97202
                odlin@reed -or- {ogccse, tektronix}!reed!odlin
        "The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away.  Fickle, fickle Lord."

dave@jplopto.uucp (Dave Hayes) (05/12/89)

Galactic Bloodshed as FTP'd from the archives mentioned causes zcat and
uncompress to core dump.

The patches as posted to comp.sources.games do not make it through patch.

Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on?

Opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<<<<<([Dave Hayes])>>>>>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
dave%jplopto@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov | Jet Propulsion Laboratory   M/S 300-329
{cit-vax,ames}!elroy!jplopto!dave | 4800 Oak Grove Drive Pasadena, CA 91109
BIX:  dhayes                      | (818) 354-1910
      "Real insight is the ability to respect relative truth without
    damaging oneself by refusing to realize that it will be superceded"

water@wheaton.UUCP (Paul Waterman) (05/16/89)

I'd appreciate it if somebody would be willing to send me parts 5 and 7 of
Galactic Bloodshed, or the whole source with applied patches, etc.  I'm
also looking for a copy of the source for moria.  I have no access to an
anonymous FTP, and would really appreciate getting these sources.  Thanks
ahead of time for the time you spend getting these to me.

.------------------------------------------------.     Paul Waterman
`------------------------------------------------'     voice: (312) 260-5683

mct@ihlpe.ATT.COM (452is-Thompson) (05/18/89)

From article <1037@wheaton.UUCP+, by water@wheaton.UUCP (Paul Waterman):
+
+ I'd appreciate it if somebody would be willing to send me parts 5 and 7 of
+ Galactic Bloodshed, or the whole source with applied patches, etc.  I'm
+ also looking for a copy of the source for moria.  I have no access to an
+ anonymous FTP, and would really appreciate getting these sources.  Thanks
+ ahead of time for the time you spend getting these to me.
+
+
+ .------------------------------------------------.     Paul Waterman
+ | But I thought you said STRAITjackets and ties! |     water@wheaton.UUCP
+ `------------------------------------------------'     voice: (312) 260-5683

I am also looking for the whole patched GB source.  I was able to
get part of it.

		Thanks in advance
		Craig Thompson
		ihlpe!mct
		312-979-7576

kevin@CSUStan.EDU (Kevin Wright) (05/22/89)

	I am also interested in getting a copy of Galactic Bloodshed.
	I have access to anonymous ftp.  If someone could tell me of
	a sight that has it or if someone could send me a copy I would
	much appreciate it.

					-Kevin

kevin@CSUStan.EDU (Kevin Wright) (05/22/89)

	I am interested in getting a copy of Galactic Bloodshed.  I have
	access to anonymous ftp.  If someone could tell me of a place that
	has it or if someone could send me a copy, I would much appreciate
	it.

				-Kevin
				(This time I'll include my signature)

--
Kevin Wright			kevin@altair.csustan.edu
3701 Colonial Dr. #166

gjocc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Greg O'Sullivan, Senior Systems Administrator) (06/09/89)

 I had a destroyer docked with a space station and tried to transfer
 resources between them and the prompt came up with
 amount 560 to 10  i.e. the lower bound on the transfer was
 higher than the upper bound.
 consequently I was unable to move resources to my space station!
 I tried the transfer again (destroyer to station this time)
 and got a sensible range but the program crashed with a segmentation fault.

Greg O'Sullivan (GJOCC@csv.viccol.edu.au)

vancleef@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (06/10/89)

The latest of GB is available on ssyx.ucsc.edu anonymous.
it has a lot of things fixed. however, it might be useful to wait
for a slightly later update since a new (serious) bug has been
discovered. this should be fixed in a day or two and i will get
back to you.

this addressing and information architecture of the program has
been changed for thye better (we hope).

Garrett

vancleef@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (06/11/89)

Our version of GB (slightly modified from the version posted
under anonymous ssyx.ucsc.edu for personal tastes) is running
well on our sun. most of the horrendous bugs - such as
srewiny addressing and subsequent problems - appear to
be fixed. if anyone is interested in this version you can
send me email and i will forward a copy to you.

Garrett

smq@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Robert Chansky) (06/19/89)

	A still EVEN NEWER version of GB can be found at the
usual place, ssyx.ucsc.edu (128.114.133.1), login: anonymous,
dir: /pub/games.  This one has the 'fire' command fixed somewhat
over the last version, and two new commands: enslave, which
allows you to enslave other planets to produce resources for you,
and 'exploration' which gives a short description of the stars and
planets you've explored.
	New ship type: orbital mind-control laser, plus a few others
which don't work yet.
	Von Neumann machines work better now.  I probably said they worked
before, but they WORK now.

VANCLEEF@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (09/21/89)

I have found an architectural error in doturn.c in GB. As written, the
daemon/doturn program should work. However, the way things are
setup 'architecturally' the doturn routine can screw up ship pointers
in the event of daemon crashes (this can and does happen by the way).
This has been bothering us for some time. GOOD NEWS -> i rearranged the
routine to 'protect itself' against it (basically against doplanet
crashes). This new fix will not ruin the game in progress.
Also the file 'files_shl.c' with the 'makeshipdead' subroutine does not
have a close statement after the Filewrite statement. This is probably an
editing error on my part, but at any rate it must be fixed
(put "close(fd);" after the Filewrite(...); statement). I sent the
source code for these routines to 'billr'.

Have fun with the game. Also, I would like to discuss the possibility
of starting (and maintaing) a Galactic Bloodshed newsgroup if enough people
are interested.

garrett

smq@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (10/02/89)

The legal system rears its ugly head.... I am going to copyright GB.

What this means is that I will go through all the files and say they
are copyrighted by me.  I'd like to get a list of the people
who worked on it over the summer so that you can all be listed under
"modifications by ...."  Then I'll mail the files to Garrett Van Cleef
and that will be that.  Basically I heard a couple of horror stories
about people who had stuff swiped from them, and I'd like to get this out of
the way in case I decide to adapt it for the Amiga or any number of
other things happen to the source.

The message will say that anyone is free to play and modify the game to
their heart's content, but maybe something about not selling it for money
except after talking with me first.

Supposedly this has to be done in the same year that I released it, and that's
this year.

Let me say again that I appreciate everything you all have done with the
game.  If this turns out to be the next Empire, we will all have the pleasure
of possessing massively overinflated egos.

thanks
Robert Chansky
smq@ucscb.ucsc.edu

varneyml@clutx.clarkson.edu (Mike Varney,303 Wilson,5183551510,3152682130) (08/02/90)

I've been having a problem with Galactic Bloodshed... within 3 turns
of the game starting, all the stars go nova.  Some the first turn, more
the second, and the rest usually on the third.  Someone told me that
there was a bug in one of the functions.... does anyone know what the error
is and how to fix it?

Thanx anyone...

se_micha@rcvie@tuvie.uucp (Niklas Michalopulos) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug2.013854.26939@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> varneyml@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:

>I've been having a problem with Galactic Bloodshed... within 3 turns
>of the game starting, all the stars go nova.  Some the first turn, more
>the second, and the rest usually on the third.  Someone told me that
>there was a bug in one of the functions.... does anyone know what the error
>is and how to fix it?

The bug is in function fix_stability in file doturn.c:

Somewhere 'round the end of the function a random number is calculated
(rather complex nested int_rands) and this number is added to the
stability. Then there is a check if the stability is < 0, BUT it is
UNSIGNED!!! So quite often the stability becomes a number > 65000, which
clearly indicates a nova in the next turn...

>Thanx anyone...

Have fun!
			bye, Nik

+ disclaimer: My opinions are a congenital defect, +
+             what is your excuse ?                +

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (08/09/90)

Hi y'awl,

When trying to compile galactic bloodshed on a Targon /35 I got the following
undefined symbol:

	_log1p

This function does not exist on the system used. I couldn't find it anywhere,
not even in the GNU math library (PML)

To reprogram it I need to know: what does log1p do. Anybody have an answer?
Thanx in advance,

Martin

--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

news@heitis1.uucp (News Administrator) (08/25/90)

Has anyone tried to modify the source for GB3 to work on a SYS5r3.2?  I have
done it, but there are many "bugs" that I haven't been able to explain yet.

	1) Occasionally the system dies in one of the reports from
		rst().  The rd[0] usually contains something that
		resembles a path where the system pointer should be.

	2) I have had lots of floating point exceptions.  I keep fixing
		them and another pops up.  These mostly hit in reports
		or maps/orbits.

	3) I don't seem to get all the characters from the socket properly,
		quite often (almost always), the response prints over the
		command.  I have started putting:
			notify(Playernum, "\n");
		when I see one do it.  This seems to work, but I would
		guess is not correct.

Have any patches been sent out on the net.  All I have is the "virgin"
source from comp.sources.games.

	brian