[comp.sources.games.bugs] Conquer Multi-player probs

shevett@mccc.uucp (Dave Shevett) (11/06/90)

So I have this Conquer game, see, on this '386/33 running Xenix, compiled
with the GCC compiler.  I compiled with the (insert variable name here)
option that allows conqrun -x to execute when players are still in the game
(for automatic updates).

*BUT*, goofy things happen.  All combat and trading is resolved, but a
player will not see them unless he bops out and back in again.  He will,
however, receive mail from Conquer explaining miscellaneous events, but
will not see, say, his clock tick from Summer into Fall.

Any suggestions?  Otherwise, the game is running great.

Oh: Conquer v4.9, SCO Xenix 2.3.1, GCC, sources as posted to Anomaly.

M------------------.                     ,------------------------------;
W----------------.   Lawrenceville, NJ     )----------------------------'
I               ~-------------------------/

water@wheaton.UUCP (Paul Waterman) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov6.135954.7325@mccc.uucp> shevett@mccc.edu (Dave Shevett) writes:
>So I have this Conquer game, see, on this '386/33 running Xenix, compiled
>with the GCC compiler.  I compiled with the (insert variable name here)
>option that allows conqrun -x to execute when players are still in the game
>(for automatic updates).

Key point here - conquer isn't built to update while players are still in
the game.  Since it uses a file of commands instead of a server/client
type of setup, there is no way that conqrun can pass the new information
to any conquer processes running.

>*BUT*, goofy things happen.  All combat and trading is resolved, but a
>player will not see them unless he bops out and back in again.  He will,
>however, receive mail from Conquer explaining miscellaneous events, but
>will not see, say, his clock tick from Summer into Fall.

You're lucky that even happens if you're in when the update occurs.
I know on our system, if you go in and do a bunch of commands, and then
the game updates while you're still in, none of them will get done because
our system uses big buffers, and the commands haven't actually been
written to the exec file yet.

Suggestion:  Just do a wall or something to warn everybody to get out of
the game before you update it.

	  - Paul
--