[comp.sources.games.bugs] Sockets

andrew@tvcent.uucp (Andrew Cowie) (11/23/90)

I know this is not really an issue for comp.sources.games.bugs, but has anyone
out there found or created a reasonable, working simulation of sockets. I ask
this here because I am at a System V site (well actually its XENIX) and I have
been unable to compile any of the "great" games that have existed in net.world

This includes my two favorites, BSD Empire, and Galactic Bloodshed. GB in
particular has me down becasue I had it running here in pre-MUD days. There are
a great number of people up here that would really like to play the game. I
tell them to buy me a machine running BSD. :-)

Thus, has anyone in the System V world come up with a decent port of sockets?
I know at its lower levels they are tied in directly to the Internet hardware,
and into the kernel. I was wondering if anyone had created a workaround for
the needed upper layers?

--
Andrew F. Cowie at TVC Enterprises, Toronto, Canada
uunet!mnetor!lethe!tvcent!andrew andrew@tvcent.uucp

rpj@screech.rice.edu (Richard Parvin Jernigan) (11/26/90)

I came across a game the other day which appeared to have a pretty good
implementation of 'em--broken throne.  If I recall, it was posted on CSG just
a while back.  Take a look.

Richid
--
And now a message from our sponsor:
   Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

rpj@owlnet.rice.edu           (Richid)

cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov25.230109.29595@rice.edu> rpj@screech.rice.edu (Richard Parvin Jernigan) writes:

   I came across a game the other day which appeared to have a pretty good
   implementation of 'em--broken throne.  If I recall, it was posted on CSG just
   a while back.  Take a look.

   Richid

I'm afraid you misunderstood the original poster. He was not asking
for a game using sockets (as e.g. broken throne and one dozen other
games is) after an implementation of sockets.
                   ==============

Sockets is an OS service under BSD Unix and has been copied to many
other UNIXes (including many Sys V Unixes). Thus most multi-player
networked games use them. Unfortunately some Sys V derivative vendors
decided not to include sockets, but instead to implement other kinds
of network communication. What the original poster wants is a way to
emulate sockets using the network calls he has available (unless I
misunderstand him). Too bad I don't know any such emulation nor have I
heard of one.

If anyone has, please post.

        Carl Edman

Theorectical Physicist,N.:A physicist whose  | Send mail
existence is postulated, to make the numbers |  to
balance but who is never actually observed   | cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu
in the laboratory.                           | edmanc@uciph0.ps.uci.edu

varneyml@clutx.clarkson.edu (Mike Varney,303 Wilson,,3152682310) (11/26/90)

We have an AT&T 3B2, and I've had lots of problems with socket.h etc for
quite a while... then I was instructed to include the libraries "nsl_s"
and "net".  Now I don't know if these are AT&T libraries, or System 5
libraries, but it made everything work right down to gethostbyname().
You might want to try to flip through your libraries and see if there's
something in there that will make everything click like we did.

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (3673,ATTT) (11/27/90)

In article <CEDMAN.90Nov25160100@lynx.ps.uci.edu> cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:

>I'm afraid you misunderstood the original poster. He was not asking
>for a game using sockets (as e.g. broken throne and one dozen other
>games is) after an implementation of sockets.
>                   ==============

Look at the Unix-PC (AT&T 7300/3B1) archives on OSU-CIS.  There is
a System V Socket/PTY emulation library under the name "uipc".  It
seems to run okay on the 3B1 running SystemV Rel2.

>        Carl Edman

-bill
Bill Rankin				email address:	att!moss!wtr
was: Bell Labs, Whippany NJ				att!bromo!wtr
now: AT&T Federal Systems, Burlington NC  (919) 228 3673 (cornet 291)

andy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andy S Poling) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov27.134057.8365@cbnewsl.att.com> wtr@moss.ATT.COM (Bill Rankin) writes:
>In article <CEDMAN.90Nov25160100@lynx.ps.uci.edu> cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:
>
>>I'm afraid you misunderstood the original poster. He was not asking
>>for a game using sockets (as e.g. broken throne and one dozen other
>>games is) after an implementation of sockets.
>>                   ==============
>
>Look at the Unix-PC (AT&T 7300/3B1) archives on OSU-CIS.  There is
>a System V Socket/PTY emulation library under the name "uipc".  It
>seems to run okay on the 3B1 running SystemV Rel2.

Actually, that's no emulation.  It is a port of the 4.3BSD kernel socket
code to SysV with loadable device drivers.  The sockets are the work of Alex
Crain.  On the other hand, getting this to work on a different machine
amounts to kernel hackery and is probably not for the light of heart.

Just a clarification and warning...

-Andy

--
Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
UNIX Systems Programmer                  Bitnet: ANDY@JHUNIX

n8743196@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Jeff Wandling) (12/01/90)

varneyml@clutx.clarkson.edu (Mike Varney,303 Wilson,,3152682310) writes:

>We have an AT&T 3B2, and I've had lots of problems with socket.h etc for
>quite a while... then I was instructed to include the libraries "nsl_s"
>and "net".  Now I don't know if these are AT&T libraries, or System 5
>libraries, but it made everything work right down to gethostbyname().
>You might want to try to flip through your libraries and see if there's
>something in there that will make everything click like we did.

This is true. The libs will usually have some sort of Network Extention
Services. This may or may not apply to your system, but you might have
them.

For example, I have a Motorola 68030 running sys V r3. With a little
tinkering, I found the right libs and ported LP-MUD 2.2.1 on it. (A game
which uses sockets)

For an excellent source- find _UNIX Network Programming_ by W. Richard
Stevens. (from Prentice-Hall ISBN 0-13-949876-1)

Hope this helps.

--
jeff wandling | western washington university | inet: jeff@arthur.cs.wwu.edu
cs ugrad      | bellingham, wa 98225 USA      |  n8743196@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu